Sponsored by:

Automatic car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Billb603
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic car wash

Well the search function isn't working at least on this office network so will have to ask another silly question. Car has road grime. Too cold to easily wash myself. Wanted to get the first layer off before putting away again today. Anyone have personal bad experiences with a convertible Porsche and soft touch car washes. I know not a big deal but never had a convertible go through one of these. Use it on my other cars and does an OK job until I can work on it by hand. Thanks for any input. Bill
Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, I would not put my Honda beater through one of those as I regularly see other cars coming out with bits of trim dangling off.

I have gone to a wash-it-yourself pressure washing place in a pinch and just not squeezed the trigger for the super-strong spray. That worked well.

YMMV.

Marc
Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the same as Marc- if you can find a self-serve place, at least you can give it a good rinse, and maybe some soap if you need to (I bring my own bucket and sponge). Even if it's very cold out and you don't want to shammy it off because you're freezing your butt off, at least you can get that grime off the car before putting it away...it will have spots, but when you drive it home it will dry.

You're basically paying to use the self car wash hose, but you don't have to use your own hose which is probably frozen solid, or risk freezing your house's outside pipes, so it's worth the couple of bucks...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about up North, but here in GA there are several places that do a hand wash--I always go to Avril down here and the whole process is hand wash [plus I worked there one Summer during college and know how high quality the products are that they use].

The guys there do a great job, and the place is open year round [except when raining]. You may also want to look into the "car wash/car detailing" page of the yellow pages to look for mobile car wash/detailing services. I would expect that you probably have some of those up there that can come to your office and wash your car for you at work with a large tank of water in a van with all of the requisite materials.

I personally will never take my car, hardtop or otherwise, through an automatic wash.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
rodders
Racer

Dont touch the automatic wash - and your hands sound too gentle for the self-service
Pay my fare and I will come and do it my - self
Pity they have stopped Concorde - i am free this after noon before I pick up the kids !
Its not far from Chelsea - London UK that is ....
Old 02-08-2006, 11:22 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

The wheels could also easily be damaged by the fact that they actually stick out a bit( Cup), could be troublesome with the guiding rails.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Hey Bill,..Besides the micro scratching to the clear coat from the swirling brushes. The additional down force of the main over head’s brush would not do the soft-top fabric any good, and especially the, PLASTIC WINDOW!!.. And once the temperature goes down, all the waters that get in under soft-top weather sealing and in through the window/soft-top seals will freeze, etc, etc... Not too good... Just clean the glass windows, sponge the plastic, so you can see and drive and before you know it...

It will be spring in New Hampshire...

Patience is a virtue... It’s also good for your Porsche 911/964...

All the best from here,
Marc...
Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Billb603
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice. And rodders thanks for the offer to fly over. And if it's OK with you I'm going to copy your post and show the wife as she seems to think my hands are just fine to do all the manual labor on her to do list! I hadn't thought about the wheels so definitely a no go there. Was planning on putting the top down after a drive and drying out the seals etc but thanks Marc for yet one more reason to stay away. Will buy a chamois and dry off after a gentle rinse in the self serve as I can't imagine the water spots on a black car after a wash (my first Porsche and my first black car). Just cant stand to see the road grime sit there for another few weeks. Thanks again all, Bill
Old 02-08-2006, 02:14 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Bill,..
One more drip of drab... After washing your Porsche, always allow the soft top to dry in place. Never lower it while still wet. It’s not a good idea considering that under the fabric is a very important surface area that’s glued to the fore and aft structure (photo)... If the three-ply is stretched, pulled away from the glued surface and not tight fitting, the next time while driving at speed the fabric will "flutter" and will actually de-glue little by little... Not trying to scare you, I guess it’s like wearing wet jeans after a wash... They wrinkle, stretch, out of shape when wet, better off dry, anyway...

Have fun when all is dry, especially in the jeans,
Marc...

PS.. Just in case, nothing like a photograph...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 02-09-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Bill, I did a number on my SL500 expensive wheels when I was lazy in Dallas and decided to run thru the car wash. Not sure what I was thinking but it had to be the dumest thing I did. Also, I understand the commercial soap they use will cause fading if your car paint has clear coat on it. Don't they have those DYI car wash stalls in New hamshire where you dump $5 bucks of quarters to wash your car. You'd be surprised the interesting people you meet in those places.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As the owner of a self serve car wash, be advised that the soap will likely remove your wax. So just use rinse, not soap...
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Billb603
Intermediate

Well took all your advice and just rinsed the car in self serve. Too wet to chamois so figured I would drive a few miles out of town and stop and drythe rest off. It's been warm til last couple of days so didn't count on water freezing in place instead of drying Aaaaargh. Got home put in insulated but not heated (yet) garage and waited for water drops to melt. They did but before I got back out most dried so lotttts of spots but overall cleaner and will wait for a warmer day to wash at home and wash etc. No messed up wheels and top is just about dry in place though verrry tempted to put down today before I washed it to see what it is like to drive in a 911 with the top down. Cant wait. And thanks again for all the really good advice ...lots of things I wouldn't have thought of but surely wished I had. Bill
Old 02-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking a P-car an automated carwash????? Don't provoke the Porsche gods...have you heard about the curse of the swirl marks?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Billb603
Intermediate

I'm amazed that no one else mentioned the Porsche gods before you. It is just toooo cold the last few days to wash the car in the yard but just had to take the car for a spin since our long uphill driveway was bare for the first time ever in February and it was sunny and and and......
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Bill...all you need is a spray bottle of griots garage "Speed Shine", some "Speed Shine Towels", soft microfiber clothes and a bottle of cognac (preferably XO)...park the car in the garage (hopefully heated)...pour the XO...and enjoy yourself...

Quick Reply: Automatic car wash