Sponsored by:

remove vs keep orig

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default remove vs keep orig

Hey all, I have a question. I have been selectively removing stuff from the car (bottom tray, seats, trunk carpet, rear deck) with the idea that I would put it back before I ever sold the car. I know I might not ever sell it, but just in case it makes me feel better like I am keeping my pcar investment.

Anyways, my question is this. If I start to remove or replace orig stuff how does it fair on resale? Am I causing more depreciation? The condition of the stuff I am removing is almost always in very very good condition. For instance, I was thinking about replacing the linen colored door panels with the lightweight RS style, and perhaps adding a RS carpet kit. Obviously the carpet is not really reversable. Would this 'impact' my resale ability?

Yes, the slope has gotten ahold of me bad.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not a market expert but i'd think as long as you kept all of the parts it won't affect your selling price, but it may take a little longer to sell while waiting for the "right" buyer who appreciates the modifications you make. (stressing again that you still have the original parts you removed)

just my opinion,
harry
Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep all the stock stuff and make your mods reversable.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I read in some article that Dr.F. Porsche said in so many words " personalize your Porsche with modifications to your satisfaction as long as you don't change the inner character the car was made to have" . I know from personal experience, modified corvettes lose significant value especially the classic ones. This topic came up before and most of the guys agreed: drive it and enjoy it or store it and sell it. However, if I wanted my C4 to look like a RS or a turbo, I would opt to get the real thing. But, there are some awesome modified 964's on this site whose original value have been enhanced. l
Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I have seen in the market, these cars' value aren't affected by modifications. However, I would guess that depending on what is done to the car, the number of potential buyers may decrease.
For example, that 964 that had the US flag paint scheme... I would guess the buyer group for that particular mod was pretty slim.

That said, I'm doing the same thing you are gorman. Keeping everything reversible... as if I will sell and someone will care. At a minimum you may gain a prospective buyer if it could be put back to original condition.

In hindsight, I probably would have been better off from a $$ perspective if I had bought a 964 that someone had already put the money into. Then again, I am kind of enjoying the process of "improving" some things, learning more about how the car is built, why it performs the way it does, etc.

They're like a pretty woman... with a good personality. The looks (and perhaps "performance" ) are what intially attracted you. Then you dig deeper and find out that the insides are well done too.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Mark, I like your analogy to a pretty women. But sometimes even a pretty women with a good personality may need a boob job to be more enjoyable. God, I hope no female porschephiles go nuts over this comment. Sooner or later we all could use some enhancemnets.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

These cars (964's) are not old enough to be affected by minor mods that detract from stock. There are plenty around to choose from and if there is a modified car you're looking at buying and you don't like the mods, just move on to another one that is more stock.

However, notice what is happening to the pre impact bumper cars. Very original, very stock cars bring extreme premiums. There are tons of hacked up cars and ones that have a lot of changes made to them (even good changes). However, the bone stock cars have the highest resale (and are almost at a point of investment status). There just aren't any original cars to choose from. Time has taken it's toll. Mileage plays into account too, but as our 964's age, the bone stock cars will carry more resale value, especially as they age over 30 years or so.

However, if your car has been repainted and has over 100,000 miles or so, just mod the heck out of it and enjoy it. High mileage, non original paint cars will have lower resale values than original cars. The 'damage has been done' so to speak, so they are the best drivers.

Or, keep in mind it's your money and your car. Do with it as you see fit. They're just cars in the end...

Jay
90 964
Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't modify an original low-mileage car. Those will appreciate. Any car with a lot of miles or significant abuse or collision history is less attractive as a collectable. Those cars don't have much resale value anyway, and the mods might make them more attractive. It is rare to get paid for your modifications at resale, so plan to enjoy your investment.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:41 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars are meant to be driven. Do what you want, keep the original stuff, and hit the track!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Make it your own. Modify it with taste (don't get crazy with weird colors/flags/sparkles) and forget about it! If/when it comes time to sell you will find a buyer as long as the car is in top condition. It just means that you will have to wait for the right buyer... but to drive the car you love and with the looks you like... man! nothing beats that.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also don't expect to get you mod money back out of the car. I paid $27,500 for mine almost 4 years ago. I have receipts for about $26,000 that the PO had sunk into the car in the prior 5 years he owned it. Some of this was for general maintenance and needed items... Like having the clyinders sealed. But most of the rest was for new everything... Engine rebuild and reseal, Big Reds, rotors, lowering, interior color swap, etc. I bought mine specifically because of the mods it had. I may not be the descriminating Porsche buyer others speak of... But I knew what I wanted.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't expect to get the mod money out, I just don't want to 'cause' excess depreciation that would not have happened if I left it stock.

So far, all the things I removed can go back in, thats the plan. I just wanted to validate my thinking that this idea is a reasonable one. Seems like most everyone agrees that I should take out stuff, save it, mod tastefully and with purpose, and drive the heck out of it. Of course I will keep the mechanicals in top order.

Thanks for the info as always!

Off to Laguna Seca on wednesday! Can't wait!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:53 AM
FamilyCar
Instructor

You're being a bad boy.

Quick Reply: remove vs keep orig