New "elite" prices for the new class of "elite" Porsche owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New "elite" prices for the new class of "elite" Porsche owners

I was going through my keys and realized I would like to have another set of emergency keys made for the 964. I had one set done 5 years ago when I bought the car at a dealership for about $10. Since the place I had them made moved their location, I called to see where they were located, and asked how much a set of keys would cost. The guy responds, in a somewhat arrogant tone, "we don't 'cut keys' here, we order them directly from Porsche using VIN numbers."

"How much will that cost," I ask (figuring $20-$30).

"Depending on the car, it will run between $110 and $170."

I told the guy the car was old and it didn't have any electronics in it. The response was the same.

Is this an example of the new, "elite" class of owners Porsche is targetting...people so completely stupid they'd be willing to pay that much money for a piece of metal with grooves, notches, and a plastic head just because it was a Porsche?

I was really put off by this. After seeing a Cayman I was really thinking about looking at one, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What annoys me is the fact that the key on its own is useless, you then need to pay for the plastic bit seperately!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Bill, there's an Australian website that does keys very reasonably-priced.

Haven't time to check just now, but it's something like keysforclassics.com
Old 02-03-2006, 07:50 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a spare key cut at Home Depot a year ago for about $2. Works fine.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:24 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sympathetic to Porsche's need to stay profitable, but gouging the owners of older cars will eventually hurt the bottom line. Brand reputation sells cars. Maintaining sane prices for parts and service is essential to that reputation.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you were a bit unlucky and got a "tw*t" for a parts guy. try a few dealerships, attitudes seem to vary as does knowledge of the product. One day the parts guy is selling parts for AN Other car maker now he's selling parts for Porsche and it's gone to his head. Long established dealers tend to have parts guys that have been there for years and know the product others simply don't.
I Phoned an opc for some springs recently . The parts guy told me they were no longer availiable(which i knew was not the case) so I phoned another who got the parts no problem.
You will probably find that when you connect to the right person the key will be similar money to what you paid before!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

I purcased 3 blanks on ebay when I got my car for cheap, had the hardware store cut them for free.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

While I agree that a pre-electronic ignition key should NOT be $100 I don't agree with the charecter assasination of people that can afford a new Porsche (elite, completely stupid?). A dealer charges about $250 for an oil change that costs about $75 to DIY on a 997S too! I bet you can get a key made for a LOT less, ask around..

Originally Posted by Bill Wagner
Is this an example of the new, "elite" class of owners Porsche is targetting...people so completely stupid they'd be willing to pay that much money for a piece of metal with grooves, notches, and a plastic head just because it was a Porsche?

I was really put off by this. After seeing a Cayman I was really thinking about looking at one, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:03 AM
CHASE
Instructor

I had a similar experience with a dealer parts guy. I called about brake pads and was treated like I was really bothering him and he would not even try without the VIN number. 10 seconds later I called an aftermarket parts store and was treated by a very customer friendly female who I bought the parts from. I too would by the blanks from e-bay or pelican parts and have the local hardware cut them. The old guy at the hardware store would probally get a kick out of cutting a key for a Porsche.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had a very different experience with the parts department at my local Porsche dealership.

The parts guy knows me by name and will bend over backwards to get anything I need. I always get a decent discount on everything I order.

He's gotten me really odd parts for my car (I concours it so I replace every little trim piece that is broken or worn) and always is a pleasure to work with and has quite a bit of patience for my really stupid requests. He's been there a long time and knows his stuff.

I think it's really up to the dealership and how they are running their business. Each dealership is different.

I just got a new windscreen filler neck cap from the dealership. Mine was cracked and faded. Took 5 months to get the right thing. However, when it finally came in last month, it was 69 cents. 59 cents after my discount. Not bad!

Jay
90 964
Old 02-03-2006, 12:06 PM
loot87
Racer

I live about 60 miles from the nearest good shops in Denver. The dealership in Boulder and the local independent shop in Niwot both have these same bad attitudes. In fact, the dealer in Boulder is about to lose Porsche, so maybe the new caretaker of the name will do better.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Had mine cut at Home Depot for a dollar.

Can't believe the ***** some of these businesses have these days. What's worse is that you can't tell if they're lying or if they're really that stupid.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I got the blanks many years ago... cut them myself... my dad used to have a hardware store and we still have two machines to cut keys...

I could not get them to order a key. The excuse was that my car was an import and not kept in the PCNA database... but I was not aware it was that expensive...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I had a spare key made at a dealer in Toronto for $15. The service manager said if that didn't work than he would have to get one duplicated from Porsche for about $50. The dealer you talked to was a jerk. However, I find that talking to a dealer service manager in person gets more results than asking over the phone. Since these keys don't have chips in them, any hardware store cut blank will work. However, make sure you have a spare or strong key. Friend of mine had a blank cut with a well used key and the original broke. Most electronic keys cost $150 no matter what model, GM or Porsche.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:34 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol pretty big leap from "expensive keys" to "New "elite" prices for the new class of "elite" Porsche owners"
Besides, were these cars ever "cheap"?

Key blanks can be ordered through various suppliers, some are sponsors here. The can be cut anywhere, assuming the key you have now is in good enough shape.
If you want to replace the key head, same thing... can be ordered many places. Google is your friend

Quick Reply: New "elite" prices for the new class of "elite" Porsche owners