Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Handling Cars You've Owned/Driven

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the handling of a WRX and a STi compare? Or an Evo and a WRX for that matter. Rode in a WRX extensively, but my exposure to cars is limited.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Heirsh
How does the handling of a WRX and a STi compare? Or an Evo and a WRX for that matter. Rode in a WRX extensively, but my exposure to cars is limited.
I've driven all, but can't comment much between the WRX and the WRX STi other than the STi version has about 75 more horsepower and handles much better. It has a much more stiff suspension than the regular Impreza WRX and I'm pretty sure its chassis may be stiffened. I'll leave the rest to Craig since that's his realm. However, the regular WRX goes 0-60 mph in about 5.7 s, while the STi clips a full second off of this 0-60 time.

That said, I believe that straight-out the STi may be about a tenth of a second faster to 60 and to the 1/4-mile mark than the Evo, but generally the Evo has beaten the STi around the track in magazine comparisons. Usually I'm guessing it's all about the driver though! Both cars are of such similar speed and both top out at upwards of 160 mph--can't get much closer than that.

For the cars being so similar, they couldn't be any more different...that's what the beauty of the STi and Evo are, to me. As we have a thread going on in here about "owning a 964 and 993 at the same time"...some people couldn't because they're so similar... I don't think it's like this with the STi and Evo. I think one could own both and be happy as they're so much different "under the skin"

Marc, nice Miata. Reminds me of when I took my girlfriend to Mazda's Zoom-Zoom Live event and took her for a few laps in the Miata and in the RX-8. I should find that pic and post it sometime. Her face while I'm making a turn is classic.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:37 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed my STI for the 6 months that I had it. I didn't find it very challenging to drive, which is why I went back to the 911.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:51 PM
rodders
Racer

sorry folks - there is only one car that works - Lotus Seven
My Cosworth Seven in 1965 was the equal of any car on the road today - bar none
and you have to remember this was 40 years ago
Not top speed - which over 120 is fairly irrelevant - but in acceleration, and out and out handling nothing compares even to-day - and the same car still does it to-day !!
as for bangs for the buck !!!!!!!!!
so many Lotus stories.... knocked off the track by Brian Redman in 1968 - rebuilt in my home garage 4 months later - by my own hands - new frame delivered to the british Grand Prix by Team Lotus - those were the days
Old 01-29-2006, 09:31 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I've had an obscene amout of vehicles -- Miata, Morgan, Viper, BMW M3s, 740i, 540i, Audi, Fiat X 1/9, Rx-7, Mustang, MR2, Honda S2000, Boxster S, 997S, a Lotus Elise, and others that aren't worth mentioning.. For both sharpness and adhesion, no question that the Lotus Elise I owned for about 8 months was the best (the Elise has significant drawbacks as many have said). Tied for second, I put the very clinical E36 M3, the Boxster S which has almost idiot proof handling (I'm one of the premier test drivers for that category), and 997S. I'd say my RS America would be in the running for second place IF I were a good enough driver. The steering on the RSA is hands down the best, even better than the Elise.

In total driving enjoyment and entertainment the RSA is tied with my 4 wheeled bi-plane, a 95 Morgan Plus 8 for best honors (when things go badly in the Morgan, I become tempted to bail out). The Boxster S and 997S would be in the running for best all around car, as well.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '86 Audi UR Quattro Turbo was awesome ,followed by the 964.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Azureblue
Intermediate

My vote goes for the Elise straight out of the box (Series 1). Caterham 7's are excellent, though not suitable as a daily driver in the UK, whereas the Elise is and was for six years.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was truly a enthusiastic motor head the only thing that counted was a 1/4 mile straight line.
So I will say the best handling car I've owned is my 964, the worst would be my first (and only) 'track car' a 1955 Chevrolet... Thank heavens the 1/4 mile was straight. I've had boats that turn better, and faster now that I think about ti.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

If we limit to the cars I've owned or driven, it's easy - my new 996 C4S. In all my days, I've never experienced anything like it - it has so much grip it's mindbending.

I went on a fun run a couple of years ago in my 964 through the LA mountains, and I drove the living hell out of that thing trying to keep up with the 996's in front of me - when we stopped, I was wasted - the 996 guys were cool and collected, and now I know why.

Wow.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best handling car I've OWNED apart from the C4 of course, was my 70 Mini Cooper with 14" wheels (don't laugh, stock were 10" rims and the 14" tires were 40 series IIRC - back in the 80's!). Apart from a massive 60-ish BHP, the handling was insane. I got pulled over by a cop once because I didn't brake for a corner at 40 mph and he figured I was speeding because of how fast I appeared to be taking the corner.

Best handling sedan I've owned is the Alfa 164S - although I am sure there are many out there now that outhandle it, for an early 90's car it is extremely sure footed. Of course, it too could use some more horses.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:07 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it as Harry says, the Evo and the STI are so similar to each other in performance numbers it really comes down to feel. Ive driven both and I like both cars. Its really just a matter of preference. I liked the interior of the STI better and it has more torque (stock), also Mitsubitsi has some financial problems and I didnt want to deal with that. Both cars are wonderful. If you are in the market for a Family Sedan I suggest you drive both. They are fast in the 0-60 range of 4.5 seconds and 13 sec 1/4 mile, the ST corners hard enough that my wife complains she needs a neck brace. The Porsche is more difficult to drive fast and is more entertaining, I like driving it more than the STI but the Porsche costs more to operate and I can only carry 2 people at a time. The STI doesnt break and its AC always works. The Porsche has a lot more PRESENCE, people notice it, that can be both good or bad! There are not many STIs or EVOs in the USA at least where I live they are as rare as Porsches.
Craig
Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Triumph TR7!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:16 AM
bikeaddict
Intermediate

Without doubt, the Cayman S! Better then 300Ztwinturbo, Sti, Lotus Elise 190, Boxster, and even my beloved 964 BUT no chance that I'd trade!!! Too sterile.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:06 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Without a doubt my Kawasaki 1000 engined Silva Striker Kit car.....Awesome

Old 01-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

That Striker looks crazy! Cool car!

Quick Reply: Best Handling Cars You've Owned/Driven