Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs first time DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lowering Springs first time DIY

Can anyone direct me to a detailed DIY on shock and strut work. My issue is I can't figure out how to get the top of the strut apart. The 22mm nut at the top won't come loose. I've never done this kind of work before. I like to learn about these things though and time is on my side. The car isn't moving untill at least April. Am I in over my head. Pics show how far I've gotten. I did search the archives and can't find a do it yourself on these. Maybe someone can post a link to one. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:57 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Just found one. Disregard or feel free to chime in. Now all I need is a piece of leather.

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/jclowering.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

If you use a impact wrench (air powered drill like thingi), then it's really easy. The impact wrench moves really fast and just 'snaps' it off. Your local garage may have one, or can just do it for you.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The impact wrench is the key, or a big breaker bar before you take the assembly out of the car. I'd watch that option though, as you could scratch the car by a wayward bar coming loose.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:03 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We used a impact wrench and just kept hammering on it till they came lose. On one we had to clamp the top hat and spring together with vise grips and used a hammer on a 1/2" drive socket handle. A few sharp blows broke it lose. Dont know why clamping the hat and spring worked but it did.

Last edited by jimq; 01-27-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:17 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Apart from the good advice that everyone has given you already. My "Painter’s Eye" has zoomed in on the shiny Black re-fitted bumper with the new seal nicely fitted in place...
Looking good!!..
Old 01-27-2006, 10:06 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I too used an impact gun while the shock was still in the car.

If you don't have access to one, then you can do the following:
Get a 22mm(?correct size?) socket and a 10mm hex key and a large vice grip or channel lock.

Rough up the outside of the socket. place over the nut. put the hex key thru the socket into the rod end. grip the outside of the socket with the vice grip or channel lock pliers and holding the hex key, turn the socket.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

You can buy the proper socket and allen wrench or borrow them if you can't get access to an impact wrench. Don't know where "Henry St." is, but I would be happy to send you mine to use if you pay shipping, as i'm sure many here would. To be honest I never used them except to Torque, the impact worked great for R&R. If you used the same DIY I did (was for a 993) you will quickly see (and be VERY happy) that the 964 rear strut removal is super easy compared to the 993.. I don't see a spring compressor, assume you know you need one, yes?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:18 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are replacing the shocks I hope. If so, then using an impact is no issue. If you want to keep your old shocks (and they will be dead BTW and your new springs will ride very rough) then using an impact can damage the shock.

Also Lou, I think it is a 7mm allen for the stock front shock.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

A few issues have come up since I last posted. I found out that my room mate has a Dewalt cordless impact wrench, (should work.) I got the left side strut apart using the vise grip 22mm socket method. The right one is less cooperative. One thing I notice was the upper strut mounts seem a little loose, they wiggle a little bit. Is that normal. The other issue is that I wasn't planning on replacing the shocks but that almost seems rediculous at this point. shox.com has Bilstein "Set of 4 threaded body struts and shocks." for $669 a set shipped. This seems like the logical choice from what I've read on this site in the past. Also is there a kit to buy some where to replace all the other parts involved, upper strut mount, bump stop, etc... By the way Henry st. is in Des Plaines IL. BTW is that a slippery slope I feel?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
josephaiello
Intermediate

I don't know if I am missing anything here, but why are you not using a spring compressor? It helps for safety and relieves pressure on the nut to remove it more easily.

Joe
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

When the front struts came out there was no pressure on the spring. They where actually loose. The rears may be a differant story.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:21 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by josephaiello
I don't know if I am missing anything here, but why are you not using a spring compressor? It helps for safety and relieves pressure on the nut to remove it more easily.

Joe
AUTOZONE will lend you one for about $40 refundable deposit. Does help and is safer
Old 01-27-2006, 01:08 PM
josephaiello
Intermediate

Is that normal for their to be no pressure on the front springs?

Joe
Old 01-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

On a realted note....I go to start my rear shock removal today and John's website is down so I can't access the DIY.

Marc

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs first time DIY