Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filler lid alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 07:34 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Talking Fuel filler lid alignment

The gas filler lid is not flush with the body work on my car. The leading edge is slightly depressed which looks terrible.

I've seen many other cars, both in person and in pictures and I've yet to see one like mine. The panel is fine and I can't see any evidence of it being replaced. All the chaulking in the fender well is intact, the door is straight and there is no tell-tale paint or other alignment issues to make think it's been wrecked. In fact if they did replace the fender, it would seem that aligning the cap would have been done.

Has anyone seen this? Correct something like this?

I've searched the archives but I only found issues related to fuel smells, leaks, and filler tube replacement.
Old 01-23-2006 | 07:41 PM
hawk911
Race Car

mine is like that too; waiting for another response on the fix (one more for the list)
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Mine was like that when I bought the car.

My method to fix took 10 sec.

I simply, very carefully, (little bit at a time) bent the hinge toward the upward direction by pulling on the lid. I did this with the door open. It is very pliable... this is probably why this happens to start with. Likely an over-zealous wax application or someone leaning on the car (eek!).
Mine has been perfectly flush since.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2006 | 10:51 PM
hawk911
Race Car

thx; I'll fix mine soon. Not as big a job as I thought.
Old 01-24-2006 | 01:18 AM
ltbrkm3
Instructor

Default Thanks!

I tried to shim mine with thin washers....not a good plan. I'll try your method.
Scott
Old 01-24-2006 | 11:11 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Well, that was way too easy!

I did exactly as Mark described, took me about 10 seconds of work and 30 seconds of amazement to complete the task. It's the little stuff that makes us happy

Scott, I was also thinking of trying to shim it. The thing that kept me from even trying was that I thought that I'd be struggling with the dang small nuts in a smaller area. I simply couldn't sign on for a frustrating task.

As usual...The Rennlist crowd is a collective genius. Thanks to everyone who contributes here. You make a huge difference everyday.
Old 01-24-2006 | 11:39 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

All 3 911's I had over the years were the same way. It happens when you push to lock it down. I fix mine and a few months later its below the fender again. I just ignore it now.
Old 01-24-2006 | 01:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

hmm....

I push on the end that the latch is on. The bend happens on the hinge end.
Seems to be holding up well for me!
Old 03-18-2006 | 11:59 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I've just had this problem happen to my car. It was in to a body shop for rust remediation around the windshield. When I picked it up I noticed that the hinge end of the fuel filler lid was pushed in.

I sat staring at it wondering if it was always that way. It was not. I suspect that they pushed the car with one hand on the A-pillar and one on the fuel filler lid.

I guess I'm going to have to make the repair described here.

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Fuel filler lid alignment