Sponsored by:

Lowering perches

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering perches

Hi, looking for the thread that had photos of machined lowering spring perches for a 964 that a member had made up, tried the searchs but could not find, can anyone please direct me?

Thanks,

Michael Gibney
Old 01-22-2006, 04:24 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There was another rennlister selling them for ~$75 but he either retired to a horse farm(?) or passed away (i can't remember::sorry if your still reading this). The collars in the photo are available for $360.00USD for a set of four.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Thanks Jason, the photo at the site gives me something to show my local machine shop.

The problem I have is that the Standard springs are way too hig and the H&R lowering springs I purchassed and fitted are wat too low! Perhaps I should have tried the Eibach springs but there were a few threads about sagging so I avoided them, now that I am doing some service work, brakes, new axle boots, tune up and new tyres, it is a good time to sort the height. Perches may allow me to go a bit lower with the standard springs.

As an aside, a relative of mine is a suspension engineer with GM, he took my original Bilstein rear shock to the lab and "cycled it". He said it was still 99% and no need to replace, pretty good for 160,000 klms!

Thanks again
Old 01-22-2006, 05:35 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael Gibney
The problem I have is that the Standard springs are way too hig and the H&R lowering springs I purchassed and fitted are wat too low!
Do you know the part number for the H&R lowering springs that you bought (maybe you were sent the wrong ones?) Could there be a chance you installed the H&R springs for the 993? They are too short and lower an extra 1-2" so you end up with a California low-rider look (dragging the pipes).

As an aside, a relative of mine is a suspension engineer with GM, he took my original Bilstein rear shock to the lab and "cycled it". He said it was still 99% and no need to replace, pretty good for 160,000 klms!
Bilstein shocks are supposed to last quite a while and you can have them rebuilt for very little $$$ if they are questionable. The stock Boges can also work for 80-100k miles. Only the Monroes as used on the 993 seem to have a very short lifetime (30-40k miles).
Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Jason, the possibility of the springs being wrong embarrasses me, it's a reality check, so obvious yet I never thought about it, when I get home later I will have a look at the springs, they are still rather new and you can read the writing/numbers, I will post the No's tomorrow and see if anyone can ID them.

Regards,

Michael Gibney
Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Jason, the springs have "Carrera 2/4" stamped on them - the H&R catalogue says they are the correct springs. So no luck with that being an answer to the low-rider stance.

More thought, if I put everything back as it is I am not going to be happy, over time I will bash the lower parts and do real damage, so I have to make a descision, choices as follows:

1. Buy more springs, but no, my budget won't allow that (cost about $900.00 here).

2. Re-use the H&R's but put the perches up the top of the adjustment (at the moment adjustment is at the bottom). Although that should give me enough body clearance I will have the short travel of the H&R's and that's not good for rough roads.

3. Re-fit the original springs but use lowering perches (have enquired and can be made locally for $200.00 the lot). This should give me about the same body ride height as option 2 but should give me the original suspension travel.

Is my theorising regards suspension travel etc' at options 2 and 3 correct? Your thoughts appreciated,

Regards,

Michael Gibney
Old 01-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Hi,

Does anybody have the dimmensions/drawing for the manufacture of spring lowering perches?

Thanks.

Michael Gibney

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2006, 07:15 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Jason, the springs have "Carrera 2/4" stamped on them - the H&R catalogue says they are the correct springs.
So you did check the part numbers? I thought H&R springs for other models of the 911 (993, 996) also have "Carrera 2/4" painted on them?

1. Buy more springs, but no, my budget won't allow that (cost about $900.00 here).
That is about double what they sell for here. I've had large computer equipment shipped to the USA from Australia via the postal service and shipping costs weren't that bad. For springs it couldn't be more than $100?

2. Re-use the H&R's but put the perches up the top of the adjustment (at the moment adjustment is at the bottom). Although that should give me enough body clearance I will have the short travel of the H&R's and that's not good for rough roads.
Something has to be going on? A lot of people have installed the 964 H&R springs without problems, the only times I can remember the low-rider look popping up has been when the 993 or the 964RS springs were installed. What is your ride height as measured from the front suspension outer cross member-to-body bolt head's lower edge? (red arrow in the image below) Can you still turn the spring perch adjusting nut clockwise (raise the car)?

Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Hi Jason,

The catalogue I have is the full H&R product line for all makes and models, picked it up when I purchased the springs, catalogue says that my springs should have the words "Carrea 2/4" on them - no numbers, the 993 springs, a few lines down in the catalogue have numbers, as do every other spring. So, no "part number" on my springs, that is consistent with what the cataloge says.

Yes, parts are very expensive here, so I do try to buy from mail order like Vertex but the freight can outweigh the benefits, also sometimes the shipment gets through customs and other times they open and ask for a payment of about 25% on the invoice price to release the goods, some import duty some GST (tax).

As for ride height, it is up un the air now and wheels off back springs out, getting ready for from axle boot replacement (4 x $78.00 cost from the only Porsche dealer in our State) so I cannot measure BUT I can say that the standard Porsche aluminum emergency jack when screwed down to its lowest will not go under the front jack points without my son lifting the car about 5/8 ths of an inch. Thats too low.

The standard spring perchers are all at their lowest adjustment so I could screw them all up, that would clearly help, where do most people set their perches, midway or where?

Thanks for your help, I get so involved in my work that I cannot think about anything else and then when I get some feedback my whole attention swings over, still thats the effect the 964 has on me, last week I had a brilliant driving moment, did everything right on a favourite peice of road, my wife assures me I smiled in my sleep.

Michael Gibney

Quick Reply: Lowering perches