Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a JIC Cross Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing a JIC Cross Suspension?

Has anyone here ever DIY installed a CROSS suspension? Other than setting it up after installation, it doesn't strike me as something that would be too difficult. I would hire a pro to do the alignment and setup. Are there any particular tools that I would need?

I just noticed that Pelican sells them for regular retail.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks the same as the H&R /HD and the Intrax/M030 suspension parts we did on 2 964's a couple weeks ago. Getting bolts off is the hardest part.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Is there clearnace for air tools? If so, getting the bolts off shouldn't be a problem for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

You need a 10 mm allen head for the front bottoms. The rear was a 22mm I think regular bolt. The bolts at the top are 13mm. Maybe 12mm hard to remember. A impact wrench is a big help but a cheater bar was what we used most for leverage to break things lose. It is pretty tight at the top rears. Easiest to remove air box and fan to get to them. If its a TIP there are a few additional hoses on the left top in the way.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

It seems to me that if I'm going with a wholesale replacement like this, I don't even need a spring compressor since they will come off and go on in complete, pre-assembled units. Is that true?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedRS
It seems to me that if I'm going with a wholesale replacement like this, I don't even need a spring compressor since they will come off and go on in complete, pre-assembled units. Is that true?
yep
Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advantage with the Cross over the H&R's and what is the cost difference? I'm curious what the attraction is, easier installation with the one piece?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:06 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Can you buy just the back two shocks/springs
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suspension shown is a adjustable with 15-clicks of adjustment and include the monoballs/camberplates. I wasn't aware that H&R had an adjustable set-up available.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:40 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a DIY. I did mine in my garage. The Cross/JIC are great! With 15 adjustments you cant go wrong. Also, for a more "tuned" package, go to a scrap metal yard and have your car weighed for front axle only, then rear axle, then total. Give this #'s to Cross and they will give you appropriate spring rates for not too much more. If you nag them they may even give you a break. It always helps.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have sold and installed a number of the JICs on 964/965/993/996 (including Tom W's). They are a nice unit. They are a little more oriented for the track (with the monoballs already). They are a good price for all that you get. They are also OK for the street (there are a few different spring rates so you can get one for your application). They are pretty straightforward to install, especially on a 964. They are all assembled and ready to install out of the box.... I would be more than happy to answer any questions for you on installing them. I would also go with these any day over the H&Rs...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Bob,

How would you compare these or the PSS9s against the JRZ singles? Although the JRZ RS Pro is a double it is a street shock. I need to step up in the next year.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-10-2006, 08:30 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Hi Jim. Nice car. I love the RSAs. THinking of getting one as a daily driver Anyway, the JRZ singles are a waste of time. I would go with the PSS9s or the JICs if you want more from the car on the track. The JRZ double adjustables were a way to circumvent some of the race rules disallowing a remote reservoir shock in a stock class. They are pretty good. If you know what you and your car are doing and can make adjustments, then they can be better than a PSS9. I was supposed to be the 993 test mule for the US, but they found someone else in Holland with a TT so never got them on my own car. Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions.

Where is that pic from in your Avatar??
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Bob!

I have the PSS9s right now, but feel they are too soft for the track. I want to race in D next year and am trying to figure out what to do. Budget is a major concern right now, which is a problem if I race a Porsche!....meaning I might be sticking w/ the PSS9s for a while in DE. Maybe I will just get new springs and have them revalved. What to do, what to do....

Anyway, the track is Summit Point, check out my video on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...it+point+video

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I have had PSS9' and now the JIC's and I beieve the latter to be superior.
They have more and easier adjustment, and more value with the pillow mounts.
Mine are on a turbo and are the 10 kg and 14 kg program for track work which might be a little much for the street but drivable, they are sweet on the track.
Two things to watch for are; The spring perch ring on the front struts need to be checked for tightness since they tend to loosen, and be careful when tightening front camber adjustments easy to snap (ask me how I know) Otherwise I'm very happy.

Quick Reply: Installing a JIC Cross Suspension?