Sponsored by:

Racecar Project - Carbon Fibre bits and pieces

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racecar Project - Carbon Fibre bits and pieces

Last night I met up with a friend who does some carbon fibre work who gave me some parts he had been making for me. On a stock car there is a plastic undertray on the front of the car that covers the bottom area and encloses the area to the oil cooler and also has openings to vent the spent air from the oil cooler. On my car, the front spoler/bumper assembly did not have provisions for the stock pieces so I had to have it fabricated. Additionally, although the front bumper is fairly secure, I wanted some additional ridigity by securing the bottom of the assembly. I had previously installed the front spoiler with camloc fasteners (1/4 turns) so it could be removed easily for loading and unloading off of a trailer. We decided to make a carbon fibre piece using 1/8" honeycomb core carbon fibre and attach it to the factory mount points on the tub, again using camloc fasteners, and to the bottom of the front spoiler using camloc fasteners. The stock mounting uses speed clips and screws. This should retain the ease of removal as well as add the strength I need. My project for tonight is to fit and install the camloc fasteners on the new undertray and trim it to size.

Most race cars built like this run the high mounted banana wing, but I want to retain a stock look so I have put a wickerbill on the top of the rear wing which will give some additional downforce by slowing the air over the top of the wing. It mounts with nut plates and is removable and changable for height. Not being an aerodynamicst, I don't know what to expect, so I started with a 1/2" high wickerbill.

The last picture shows the car more complete with the rocker panels, all of the windows except the driver's window, some different tires, and additional decals. I had to have the driver's window remade since it was cut too short by 1/8" or so. I had been playing with different tire combinations on the car and these are 996 Cup size tires on 10/12" rims and it looks very close to what I need. Christmas Day I was waiting for out dinner to cook so I took a few minutes and put some of the additional decals on the car. I know the it doesn't look much different but now is when all of the little details take hours and hours to finish and you have very little to show for your time.

Thanks for looking.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that makes me want to get a carbon fiber spoiler! Beauitful pictures Geoffrey!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice to see proper hardware, nut plates and camlocs. Great stuff!!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm gonna be jallous, seeing all those pretty things.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I finished fitting and mounting the front honeycomb carbon fibre under tray tonight. The piece serves three purposes. First it ties the entire front end together with spoiler so it doesn't move around and is very solid now...unlike before...second it blocks off the air channels to the oil coolers. Now the air that enters the front openings is forced through the oil coolers rather than taking the path of least resistance. Third it provides a smooth underside for air to move under the car. It obviously needs some cleaning, just like the rest of the car.

It seems like there are so many "little" projects left on the car, each one taking considerable time. This piece took an evening to properly fit and install all of the fasteners. Sometimes I think this thing will never get done...

Old 01-17-2006, 10:27 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is looking really nice, I like all the carbon fiber parts. Whats with the Mopar Box? Also that S2 Club Sport is it a real one?

Brandon
Old 01-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I went to my friend's bodyshop to get a large thick piece of cardboard to cut the template for the front undertray. The box I took was from a Dodge truck qtr panel.

I do not know for sure if it is a real 944S2 club sport. I bought it 2 years ago with 16k on it from someone who preserved it very well, but it has become my wife's daily driver. It actually goes pretty good in the snow.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your doing a super job building a first class race car all on your own. I can't imagine having the time to do that.

I bet you wish you could work on it full time! The day job always seems to get in the way...

Great work keep posting!

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Carbon Fibre bits and pieces