Sponsored by:

traction control light, problem on the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default traction control light, problem on the track

A bit ago when I was at the track, coming out of turn #11 at Sears a couple of times the traction control light would come on, and I would have to hit the ! button to make it shut off. I am assuming that I have no traction control at that point. Then when I restarted the car, everything was cleared out.

What worries me is that this is happening mid-session, and then I have the rest of the session to run w/o traction control. It seems strange that clearing the alarm leaves the car deprecated. Can't it just reset itself w/o my intervention?

This thread helped me a bit, but I would like more clarification as to the actual intended operation of the car. Is my car broken?

Some info
Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

This happened to my C4 on my very first trackday. Usually came on after about 10 laps and under heavy braking. I span out after the light came on, stalled and restarted and the TC was fine. I thought it may be something to do with using a lot of pressure for braking.
I had my mechanic check everything out (fearing a massive bill), he couldn't find anything wrong with the system.
This never happend before I had the track pads and fluid installed.
But as per the thread you've linked, it is a lot better with it working when on the track, on a slightly damp day I was outpacing a RS around the tight stuff. (he was murdering me on the straights thou!!!)

Rob
Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Some more information... I wanted to make sure I communicated this was at WOT coming out of a corner. I subsequently had my mechanic look at the car, and he cleared any codes ( I didn't mention this particular issue).

Thx Robh for the info! It scares me that it might cause a spin or something, but it sounds like your issue was under braking vs mine under acceleration.

It's just super annoying to have it stay lit, vs just reset itself. In my other cars, if the traction control is engaged, then I just get a light while it's running. I don't have to stop/restart the car to clear it. Seems really dumb, and makes me think the car is broken.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 AM
964rh
Pro

I take it your talking about the red TC light in the clock? As far as I know this isn't the TC engage light (that one is the small yellow one next to the control on the center console).

I didn't spin out due to having no TC, I think it was over zealous driving that did that. But the warning light did clear when the car was switched off and then back on.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
kgorman
Drifting

I used garretts picture as an example. Sorry for the lame arrows, but these are the lights that come on. I realized I might not be explaining this clearly.. So I will try to clarify.

On the track, I would get some wheel spin. The ! light, and the TC light would come on (shown in the picture). I would also get the buzzer sound.

Then I have to switch off the buzzer sound with the ! switch. But the TC light stays on until I restart the car. Restarting the car is obviously not OK 1/2 through a track session and I have to finish the session with this TC light on. I am assuming that with the TC light on I am running w/o the aid of traction control.

My question is; is this normal? And does anyone have a fix for getting TC back on so I can finish my sessions with TC engaged?

Sorry for the over-verbage, but I just am trying to be clear.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2006, 02:16 PM
964rh
Pro

Yep, you are running without the aid of TC when this happens.

Does this happen on the road or when you spin the wheels or just on track?

I found that it doesn't on the road not matter how hard I tried to get it to, it just happend on that one trackday. Since then I've done a couple more and it still doesn't happen.

I don't know of a fix rather than restarting, sorry.

Rob
Old 01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
kgorman
Drifting

This just happens on the track, and only twice. I was just worried something was broken. The light is supposed to indicate a fault with the TC right... so why is it on if I just spin my wheels?

This must be a stupid question or something, no Adrian or anyone.. ;-(. Thx Rob though!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Hey kgorman - nothing's broken, just bleed your differential locks! When the locks have crappy fluid, or air in the system, you'll get that warning. A bad initial bleed (done by the previous owner before I got my car) caused my car to produce the same warning lights as you found. Since bleeding the locks, I have not had this warning ever again.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Thx Garrett. I seached around, sounds like bleeding the diff locks is fairly involved, and plus I am hammer-less. I will take it down to the shop, I know they are going to soak me for it. I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: traction control light, problem on the track