Sponsored by:

Random 964 Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:23 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyvw
Stretch? thats a 235 on a 9 inch wide wheel. So no no stretch at all.
And if you would really like to know seen as you brought all this up. I may of bought these tires less than a year ago brand new from an online store. It turns out from the date on the tires that they are 4+ years old. I already got my money back. Thank you for just jumping on the whole stretch tire thing when it wasnt even stretched. Im more happy that I didnt crash my 964 as this happened on a highway at 70mph and just blew out.
Sensitive much? All I did was ask how it happened on this occasion. Your picture caption (above) blamed Continental themselves, not the sale by date as you now claim...

If you want to stretch tyres, its your car. However saying that a 235 on a 9J is 'no stretch at all' is a mistake. 235 is what guys here run on an 8J up front. For a 9J you should be running a 255 or 265 in order to keep the correct rolling radius. But I'm sure you know that.

Like I said, its your car. Just keep yourself legal and safe.

PS. Glad your safe and sound after a 70mph blow out. What a foul mistake they made on selling you old tyres - since Conti are no longer being blamed. Guess that's a lesson that we should all learn - check your tyre dates...
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW you really are a creep. So you down loaded a video from my instagram to re post on your youtube to post on here as some sort of what evidence? Seen as that was back in may of last year and on a different set of wheels. I dont get why one you took it from my instagram and two why you posted it here.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

WOW you really are a creep. So you down loaded a video from my instagram to re post on your youtube to post on here as some sort of what evidence? Seen as that was back in may of last year and on a different set of wheels. I dont get why one you took it from my instagram and two why you posted it here.
Was just enjoying your driving style. What can I say you've busted me Mr. Sparkle. I'm stalking you.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Sensitive much? All I did was ask how it happened on this occasion. Your picture caption (above) blamed Continental themselves, not the sale by date as you now claim...

If you want to stretch tyres, its your car. However saying that a 235 on a 9J is 'no stretch at all' is a mistake. 235 is what guys here run on an 8J up front. For a 9J you should be running a 255 or 265 in order to keep the correct rolling radius. But I'm sure you know that.

Like I said, its your car. Just keep yourself legal and safe.

PS. Glad your safe and sound. What a foul mistake they made on selling you old tyres - since Conti are no longer being blamed. Guess that's a lesson that we should all learn - check your tyre dates...
Sensitive? so me explaining things makes me sensitive. OKAY. A 235 on a 9 isnt a stretch. Just because "guys on here run .........." doesnt make a 235 on a 9 a stretch. Unlike the eu were theres rules on selling tires that are "old" or out of date over here its different. No rules if they are 5 6 years old and are still new they can still sell them as new with no problems. Obviously that isnt the case. Conti us are still to blame as they are perfectly fine to sell so they say. They see no problems with a tire being 4+ years old. The manufacture or the seller. Yes more the fool me for not checking dates on the tires when I bought them but who really checks dates on new tires? Something I will be doing from now on.

All I care about is that me and the car are perfectly fine. The fact you had to go back days on my ig and randomly bring it up on here that its a stretch fault is a little creepy and strange. Funny how you didnt post the videos of my 500awhp s4 on a 225 on a 9.5 doing auto-x time and time again with no problems.

Did you previously own a volkswagen mk4 golf or jetta and was on the mk4 forums on vwvortex?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:49 PM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Was just enjoying your driving style. What can I say you've busted me Mr. Sparkle. I'm stalking you.
Driving style? and you sound like a stalker so.

Thanks for the entertainment today.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:56 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Stuff
Yup I have a MK3 Golf I'm very happy with - it's running standard tyres for the wheels.

Sorry fella, there is a manufacturer required rolling radius to every car. But like I keep saying it's your car. I was merely perusing your photos since you have linked it here on your rennlist avatar like myself and found a pic of intrigue. Curiosity killed the cat.

Thanks for the entertainment today.
my sincere apologies for ruffling your feathers.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:06 PM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Yup I have a MK3 Golf I'm very happy with - it's running standard tyres for the wheels.

Sorry fella, there is a manufacturer required rolling radius to every car. But like I keep saying it's your car. I was merely perusing your photos since you have linked it here on your rennlist avatar like myself and found a pic of intrigue. Curiosity killed the cat.

my sincere apologies for ruffling your feathers.
Did I say that there wasnt a manufacture required rolling radius? no I didnt. I just said a 235 on a 9 isnt a stretch. Can you not read? If you are curious maybe ask whats happened instead of jumping the gun blaming it on something that is not true. Thats how rumors start.

Oh im not ruffled at all im sat here laughing.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Continental posts tire datasheets on their website, which includes the approved rim widths for each model tire. Within their current line of performance tire offerings (i.e., not 4-year old models) the max approved rim widths for 235s run between 8.5 to 9 for 17" wheel, and 8.5 to 9.5 for 18" wheels, depending on the overall tire size. E.g. a 235/50/18 has a max approved rim width of 8.5", while a 235/40/18 has a max approved rim width of 9.5". Unless Sparky was running big aspect ratio tires, he would have been within Conti's maximum approved rim widths for a 235 on a 9" wheel.

Here's a datasheet for one of their current performance offerings, the ExtremeContact DW.

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/d...tasheet_en.pdf
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ken D
Continental posts datasheets for their tires on their website, which includes the approved rim widths for each model tire. Within their current line of performance tire offerings (i.e., not 4-year old models) the max approved rim widths for 235s run between 8.5 to 9 for 17" wheel, and 8.5 to 9.5 for 18" wheels, depending on the overall tire size. E.g. a 235/50/18 has a max approved rim width of 8.5", while a 235/40/18 has a max approved rim width of 9.5".
Perhaps but one needs to not only take into account the tyre recommendations by the tyre manufacturer but also the required rolling radius by car's manufacturer.

Did I say that there wasnt a manufacture required rolling radius? no I didnt. I just said a 235 on a 9 isnt a stretch. Can you not read? If you are curious maybe ask whats happened instead of jumping the gun blaming it on something that is not true. Thats how rumors start. Oh im not ruffled at all im sat here laughing.
By running stretched tyres you are reducing the effective rolling radius. So yes 235 on a 9 is a stretch that has reduced the rolling radius. Once again, it's your car do what you will.

Kindly look back, I merely asked the question as to whether this blow out was the cause of a stretched tyre. Never did I state it was the result of stretch. I asked.

Anyway clearly you are charming and I'm a stalker.

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 01-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perhaps but one needs to not only take into account the tyre recommendations by the tyre manufacturer but also the required rolling radius by car's manufacturer.
You are correct. And yet, I suspect he was still within Conti's approved range for rim widths. So I don't think "stretch" was a contributing factor, although we don't have all the facts in this case.

The bigger issue here is that retailers can and do sell old tires. The rubber ages, irrespective of how it was stored (though that might affect how quickly the tire ages). And that affects service life. I always want the newest manufactured tires I can buy.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Continental posts tire datasheets on their website, which includes the approved rim widths for each model tire. Within their current line of performance tire offerings (i.e., not 4-year old models) the max approved rim widths for 235s run between 8.5 to 9 for 17" wheel, and 8.5 to 9.5 for 18" wheels, depending on the overall tire size. E.g. a 235/50/18 has a max approved rim width of 8.5", while a 235/40/18 has a max approved rim width of 9.5". Unless Sparky was running big aspect ratio tires, he would have been within Conti's maximum approved rim widths for a 235 on a 9" wheel.

Here's a datasheet for one of their current performance offerings, the ExtremeContact DW.

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/d...tasheet_en.pdf
Thank you. But dont forget black betty is always right.

By running stretched tyres you are reducing the effective rolling radius. So yes 235 on a 9 is a stretch that has reduced the rolling radius.

Once again, it's your car do what you will.

Kindly look back, I merely asked the question as to whether this blow out was the cause of a stretched tyre.

Never did I state it was the result of stretch. I asked.

Anyway clearly you are charming and I'm a stalker.
The reduce rolling radius is the cause of the tire blowing out is it?

Iv looked back and you jumped to it being over a stretch tire. Which it isnt. End of story. Why you keep bringing up reduce rolling radius is beyond me.

As per the sticker in the back of my car. Porsche sized rear tire 225/50/16. I was running a 235/35/18. The difference is 1.56%. So my speedo at 30mph would mean im doing 30.47mph and at 60mph id be doing 60.94mph. Honestly is that such a huge huge rolling radius difference? No its not. That even keeps within specs on audis 4wd quattro system when you run different width tires front to rear. You have to be within 3% so you dont break the center diff. So 1.56% difference is that really anything to shout about?

So im running a larger width front and rear tire then what porsche recommends as per the sticker in the car. Guess thats the reason why too.

How about the fact they was on 18 inch wheels and the 964 never came on 18inch wheels? Guess thats another reason the tire blew. So you better be careful as well.

You are correct. And yet, I suspect he was still within Conti's approved range for rim widths. So I don't think "stretch" was a contributing factor, although we don't have all the facts in this case.

The bigger issue here is that retailers can and do sell old tires. The rubber ages, irrespective of how it was stored (though that might affect how quickly the tire ages). I always want the newest tires I can buy.
Again thank you.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you. But dont forget black betty is always right.
Hey, I have no dog in this fight. You two take it outside!

Oh and here's a random pic. The color scheme reminds me a little of the old Vaillant 935.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:30 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Freeman Thomas calls the 964 "Goldilocks" ...just right!
He owns one too, an '89 C4.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Thank you.
For what? Your tyres are within spec on your wheel sizes, but not by your car.

The reduce rolling radius is the cause of the tire blowing out is it?
Never said that. I said:

...could this be the result of running such stretched tyres? Or is this a regular occurrence with Continental tyres that are less than a year old?
Then you spoke about your tyres choice:

Stretch? thats a 235 on a 9 inch wide wheel. So no no stretch at all.
And I said that was a stretch that results in a non desired rolling radius. I didn't say this was the cause of your blow out. You clearly now say it's due to old tyres...

Iv looked back and you jumped to it being over a stretch tire. Which it isnt. End of story.
Does this not look like a question:

...could this be the result of running such stretched tyres? Or is this a regular occurrence with Continental tyres that are less than a year old?
As per the sticker in the back of my car. Porsche sized rear tire 225/50/16. I was running a 235/35/18. The difference is 1.56%. So my speedo at 30mph would mean im doing 30.47mph and at 60mph id be doing 60.94mph. Honestly is that such a huge huge rolling radius difference? No its not.
That figure of 1.56% is on the basis of a square/ straight tyre wall. Your tyres are 235 on 9J = stretched so the tyre wall is massively reduced/ not straight. Forgive me for saying but that figure is thus completely inaccurate. Your percentage change is actually very big.

You're causing stress to the the transmission, throwing out ratios, stress on wheel carriers, throwing out speedo readings. Like I said, your car. But don't tell us that you aren't wearing a significant stretch, you are.

How about the fact they was on 18 inch wheels and the 964 never came on 18inch wheels? Guess thats another reason the tire blew.
Yes indeed there is a tech bulletin that was released. However Cup cars run 18s on track without issue... furthermore 993s that run 18s were upgraded by Porsche with a steering rack brace. I have this mod.

Just to conclude Mr Sparkle. I reiterate I have not stated your blow out was due to stretched tyres. I asked the question. I have not dropped in manners (in this instance). On a separate subject to your incident's cause (which you say was due to old tyres) I have spoken about stretched tyres.

Anyway here is a random 964 picture
Attached Images  

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 01-29-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Henny Penny strikes again!

Quick Reply: Random 964 Picture Thread