BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, BDC
Old 09-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much lower is RS height compared to standard height?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
How much lower is RS height compared to standard height?
US standard height or ROW?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Derek911
Racer

I think someone hit the nail on the head. Stance is 90 percent about look and style. I think everyone will agree that handling is improved on a "lowered suspension" but a low suspension also makes the car look bad azz. Does going beyond rs height compromise ride comfort? Quite possible. But are people willing to deal with a firm ride to achieve the look they want? Absolutely. In my opinion a lowered 964 looks much better than one at stock height. I actually wouldn't want to own a stock height 964. It would be the thing that aggravated me most. Clearly, this is all personal preference, so knocking lowered cars because of their handling is a moot point... they are lowered because of the look. Women wear high heel shoes... I would say that is dumb because they can't run in them and they are not comfortable to walk in... But they damn sure look good in them and you won't change their minds with arguments of comfort and foot problems.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by g60pops
US standard height or ROW?
ROW but would also like to know US if different.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 PM
drknauf
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
DrKnauf, I'm trying to understand why you take what would probably be a great picture and over edit them?
what do you understand with over editing ?

these are 3 of 9 shots , i shoot HDR ,

Name:  Schermafbeelding2014-09-06om221350_zps871a84d7.png
Views: 340
Size:  158.0 KB

i combined the 9 pics , i just changed the back ground into without buildings and grass, changed the sad colored background (in my eyes) into a nice sunset color that of course is discussable ;(

the car i really didm,t change a lot !

i allways want to learn to get better so please fill me in
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drknauf
I do like subtle 32bit HDR myself.

In my opinion, leave the background as captured. The colors (color changes) and editing is too extreme.

I'd like to see those 3 you posted merged.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what do you understand with over editing ? these are 3 of 9 shots , i shoot HDR , i combined the 9 pics , i just changed the back ground into without buildings and grass, changed the sad colored background (in my eyes) into a nice sunset color that of course is discussable ;( the car i really didm,t change a lot ! i allways want to learn to get better so please fill me in
Actually fella I agree with Farkas. There's no doubt you have a hell of a lot of talent behind that lens, but I too often find that your pics are heavily over edited. Over saturated, sharpened for a start.

But hey, who am I? I can't take anything near that good. I just personally prefer more natural shots.

There's a guy called GF Williams, if you have a minute give him a google. He always in my mind has the perfect balance in his post work. Takes pictures for McLaren and the likes too...
Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by bdc1
the great thing about cars, even porsches, is that you can build your own

Low cars are not a new fad, the popularity of more extreme lowering might've increased within this community but generally speaking its nothing new and probably isn't going anywhere either.

You can drive a 964 without driving it on the track, and I would guess most of these low cars you see are certainly driven. From my experience, you can drop these cars very low without giving away its driveability on the road. Of course its more stiff, otherwise you'd bang it on the ground.

For the record I drive my 964 at this height and it performs nicely. I drive it fast, I drive it slow, I drive by myself, with my wife or my daughter. if I were to take it on the track (I will soon, I only recently got it back in shape), I would raise it a bit higher to make it perform better, simple as that. but for road use, this works just fine.

Of course we all have our preferences and thats cool.

to answer cobalt's original question, yes, its for looks.
Sorry I understand looks I had a 1979 BMW 320I back in 1979 it was lowered like most of the cars in the pictures. It looked great or at least I thought so in my naive way back then. In 1981 a friend of mine imported a 323I set the stance at regular height and added larger wheels and tires, it handled far better with a much better ride and out handled my 320. I learned over the years that lower is not necessarily better. I just raised my turbo from RS height back to ROW height and have to admit the ride is superior. There are a million articles about bump steer and until you play with all heights you may not realize what a determent the lower than RS height can be. Unless you switch to 993 RS or Evo uprights and tie rods I can't see how there is any pleasure in driving these cars slammed to the ground other than for appearance. From my experience lowering the cars this low won't gain you anything but if you do it for looks and like it than enjoy it. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

The new girl has arrived. Now, the blue rebel has an older sister :-)

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 AM
bdc1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
From my experience lowering the cars this low won't gain you anything but if you do it for looks and like it than enjoy it. Just not my cup of tea.
you are right and I didn't say it gains anything performance wise, I have no problem admitting that going past a certain height (whether its RS or something else) is purely for looks and will sacrifice some comfort, but in my opinion the car is still fine (and fun) to drive and thats all that matters. if you want to get 100% out of it on the track for example, thats a different matter.

I totally get that there are contrasting views/preferences on this and thats fine!

Last edited by bdc1; 09-08-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 AM
bdc1
Instructor

i combined the 9 pics , i just changed the back ground into without buildings and grass, changed the sad colored background (in my eyes) into a nice sunset color that of course is discussable ;(

the car i really didm,t change a lot !

i allways want to learn to get better so please fill me in
I have to agree that it just looks over done and takes away from the original image / the car itself. The colors look artificial and the background doesn't look like a sunset but like a weird pink solid color. for a more "realistic fake" sunset you'd want to do an overlaying layer of the right color tone, not a solid color, this looks like you wanted to completely cover up something from the backdrop as opposed to change the tone.

As for HDR, it's tricky to get right and easily looks "too much". The best HDR photos in my opinion are ones in which you can't tell instantly that its HDR but it just looks very vivid and striking. personally I'm not a fan of HDR though, as a photographer I think a well thought out and well taken regular photo (maybe with minor touch ups in contrast and colors) almost always looks better than one with a lot of editing and filters.

Last edited by bdc1; 09-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Zingari
Now as mine is finally back I feel it worthy of a post in this section

just saw this and she is worthy of a WOW and another loook...please post a few other pics if possible, what a beautiful widebody...
Old 09-08-2014, 03:14 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jubilee badging??
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
drknauf
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
I do like subtle 32bit HDR myself.

I'd like to see those 3 you posted merged.

sorry i did not save the psd , but it looked something like this :

Name:  Schermafbeelding2014-09-08om210231_zps7614c926.png
Views: 333
Size:  432.6 KB

this polarization filter shot is only white balanced and set horizontal !

greetz DrKnauf

Quick Reply: Random 964 Picture Thread