New Ebay purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
johnnydee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Ebay purchase

I just bought a 91 964 cab on ebay.
The seller has good feedback and I got a great price. i hope!
But i guess that will depend on how the car checks out!
Anyone know a good place to get a prebuy done in Ventura Ca
I ran carfax and all checks fine.
My only concern is that the car has a lien registered on it.
I also need to ship this car to the great white north!
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks John
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it will actually be a 'post-buy' inspection in this case?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure the lien is satisfied before you give the guy the money or go with him when he does it. That can be a very sticky problem and you could lose the car even if you paid for it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

Where in the great white north are you located?

Did you get a C2 or a C4? C4's are a lot of fun in the snow! I bought mine off eBay too - $1000 refundable deposit based on passing an independant inspection. I'd be careful with the lien though - don't want someone else coming along saying they have a claim on part or all of the car.

Post pics. when you can, please.

Marc
Old 12-07-2005, 10:16 AM
johnnydee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wow!
I can't believe the response i've received already , you guys are great!
The car is a C2 Cab dark blue with a tan interior.
. I would have preferred the coupe but it was easier to sell a cab to my wife!
hahaha!!!!
Yes I stand corrected it wlll be a post-buy.
I'm located north of Toronto by about an hour.
I'm now trying to decide if I should use one of the all-inclusive shippers to do the import or just ship it to the border and do the import myself.
Hopefully all the 964 problems have been addressed !
I'm now looking for a cheap airfare to L.A.

Thanks again for the input.

John
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 AM
skruggs964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! My '91 964 C2 Cabrio got shipped up from California last spring by a dealer. I know that he had to do the out-of-province safety, and install daytime running lights.

I bought mine in the summer....and I love the car! The first thing I did was switch out the old style "Design 90" rims. They dated the car, and had major curb rash. I upgraded it with some Boxter rims I got on eBay, but I think I'll eventually go with 17 inch Cups. Luckily, the car came with all the receipts going back to 1991.....the poor SOB before me spent $8 grand US for a new LUK clutch, valve job, and fixed the leaks about 10 thousand miles ago.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

I bought mine from out there off ebay also. You won't like the fact that it takes about 90 days to get your title from the state (says it right on the temp sticker). Good luck with it! Sounds familiar
Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

jonniedee, I purchased my cab in Florida and had it shipped here to Mississauga. There is a process that is required in order to import a vehicle. You will be required to go through customs and pay PST, GST and duty. In addtion, there are a few mods you will have to ensure are done. Daytime running lights, child seat bolt, letter from Porsche confirming that all recalls have been tended to and maybe some others that I can't recall. In any event, here is a website that might be of help. Click Here

If you need any assistance in the process, please e-mail me.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess this is your car? Similar name on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...94490446QQrdZ1

Whata deal! As long as that lien is resolved and it checks out mechanically that was a great price.

Either way, welcome to the best resource I have found for these cars on the web. The people make this forum valueable. No matter what you run up against, you will find help here. Amazing pool of info.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

If the car checks out, that's a steal.......I paid $23,500 about 1.5 years ago for my 90 C2 cab with 92000 miles.......car was not perfect, had D90s, bad thermostat........

I didn't think the car would depreciate THAT quickly...........
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Fred C
Track Day

John, I'm in Ottawa and imported a wicked 91C4 targa from California last spring. I contacted PCA in LA and had a senior member have a look at the car for me. I then took a big chance, sent the seller a usd bank transfer and the next day I received the original title by FedEx, signed over to me. We then made arrangements to have the car shipped to the US/Canada border. I met the car at the border and did the importation personally. Lots of little details..eg: you must send the original title to the US border side of wherever the car will be crossing at least 3 days prior to the car's arrival. US authorities run a check and then stamp the title "Cleared for Export" without that stamp, Canada Customs will not accept the car...You need a letter of "no recall" from PCNA, call your local dealer for the phone no, PCNA will charge $100.00 for the letter...go figure. You will pay 6.1% duty on Canada Custom's "green book value"...find out what that is ahead of time...if their value is significantly more than what you paid (you will need to show proof of purchase and proof of payment) then be prepared to defend yourself. You will also pay GST, air conditioning tax and a "Canadian Registration Fee ($200.00) ...there's more... send me a PM if u need help. Fred C.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

WoW glad I am not going thru all that. To me its a ripoff to pay 6% sales tax when we buy a used car much less all those other taxes. Nice looking car and unreal low price if it checks out.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 PM
botoo
Instructor

HI,
It looks like you made an excellent buy. Depending on the State, the title will have either a notification of a lien on it or the lienholder (bank) will not release the title until the lien (if any) is cleared. An undisclosed or hidden lien should not be the case. If you get title showing it is clear, it should be.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Well, if itgets to be too much agg you could resell it and probably make $5k on it... I paid $25k 15mos ago w/47,000 mi
Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnnydee
Anyone know a good place to get a prebuy done in Ventura Ca
Precision Tech Motorsports in Marina Del Rey is a very reputable Porsche shop. They would be able to do a thorough pre purchase inspection for you. Ask for Alex Wong, the owner, he's one of the most knowledgeable Porsche mechanics I know. (310) 822-4566. BTW, congrats on your new car!

Quick Reply: New Ebay purchase