Sponsored by:

Choice Shots

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:27 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Choice Shots

Got some pictures back from the DE at Infineon Raceway two weeks after I got the 964. What a sweet ride on the track. It amazes me now how much body roll I was getting. I didn't really know then, but after removing that orig suspension I am seeing how bad it really was. And man, I need a proper harness setup. Anyways...can't wait for the next one.

Anyways, here are some shots. They were taken by Sideline Sports LLC.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome shots - I hope I get a chance to go to one of these things soon...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 AM
bunchan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You waited 2 weeks to go to a track?
Made my decision to get a 964 C4 today and I will take it to the track the day after I get it!

Can you elaborate a little bit how the C4 behaved on the track? How much understeer did you get? Was it annoying or could you easily live with it? Is that the main reason you changed the suspension?

Lots of questions, I know, but it helps me waiting for my 964!

Steven
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 AM
kgorman
Drifting

I posted my experience before, but no worries.

I come from a background of Audi's on the track. So understeer I am familiar with. That said, the C4 did understeer quite a bit. Initially I had my tire pressures all wrong. One session it would oversteer (to little air in F and too much in R) and the next it would be the opposite. I actually liked a bit of understeer because it felt safe. There are lots of walls at infineon. Eventually I got settled somewhere in the 37 F 29 R range if I recall properly. The car is a dream on the track, mainly I wanted a car that would stand up to the track days and not fall apart every time. The C4 held up just fine. I suspect I will get harder on it as I get faster, but it's all relative. The suspension did feel soggy, but compared to an Audi, it felt OK. But that was only because I didn't know better. Now with the Bilstien/H&R package, proper camber, sways, and a strut bar, and wider rubber I should be able to play enough to get the car neutral (or at least I am telling myself that). The slope is slippery as they say, and now I have 10 or so items on my upgrade list (tires,roll bar,seats,harness,diet,exhaust,etc). Mainly because I am having fun and want to be safe, and less because my skillset requires them (for now).

Basically I got a P-car for the track, and for fun drives on weekends, and for the club atmosphere. The DE events are just sooooo much fun, and infinite amount of learning to be had.

Hope that helps some guys.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gorman, how often do they do these at Infineon?

Looks like a blast, thanks for posting the pics.

Wonder how much better it will beon the track with the new susp. eh?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
kgorman
Drifting

I went with the Audi Club, it's once a year generally. But you canClick Here for the schedule at the track. Just pick a club on a date you have free.

I generally go to smaller tracks (buttonwillow, thunderhill, reno-fernley) than to the big ones (infineon, laguna seca) because of costs.

I can't wait to get the car back on the track! I just took the car in for alignment, corner balance, brake bleed/ATE super blue this AM. We will see how it goes.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Hey I just noticed that the Golden Gate PCA Chapter has DE/Time Trial #1 at Infineon.

Golden Gate PCA Chapter

Quick Reply: Choice Shots