Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird problems after maintenance. FIXED :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
I made sure to not overfill. The oil level is about 7/8 up to the MAX line on the dipstick.
Not sure if this was stated earlier, but that IS overfilled a bit. Not sure IF that was the issue as it seems to have ended...
The level, when fully warmed up at an idle should be 1/2 way between the lines. Is your oil level any lower than when you started this?

If overfilled in the future you can suck excess oil out of the oil tank with a turkey baster with a small piece of (I like clear) tubing attached to it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet; it's fixed.

The problem was bothering me so much that last night I said to hell with it, came to my buddy's house (because he has heat in his garage) and started working on the 964. I tore the whole car apart again and re-checked everything; all the adjustments looked good so I put it all back together slowly but surely... started it up a while ago, and it runs perfectly. As soon as it started up I knew that it was 100% again. Took it out for a drive and all is back to normal. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I'm guessing I had a wire mixed up somewhere.

Thanks goes to you guys for the help. The car would have just went into the shop if it weren't for me having all of you to bounce ideas off of. Rennlist saves me money again so now I have more mod money!

-Harry
Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That is great but - what do you think the problem was? Initial reassembly error?

Marc
Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
That is great but - what do you think the problem was? Initial reassembly error?

Marc
Marc, the more I think about it--and considering the fact that I made no adjustments--I'm guessing I probably had a couple spark plug wires on the distributor caps switched around.
Sorry I don't know exactly what it was but I didn't bother back-tracking. Instead I decided to just start all over again so I could re-check my valve adjustments and make sure everything was put back properly. Once I had everything off and the valve clearances checked out fine, I reinstalled everything and it worked perfectly.

So yeah, as you said... it was probably an initial reassembly error. Oops.

-Harry

Quick Reply: Weird problems after maintenance. FIXED :)