Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro-ising the 964. Creativity or heresy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Red face Retro-ising the 964. Creativity or heresy?

Saw a piece on this in a 'well known UK Porsche mag', with more on this recent trend of taking an unsuspecting 964 and adding old fashioned fiberglass bumpers, ducktail and fuchs-a-likes.

What do you all think? The old cars are certainly pretty, but isn't a 964 classic looking enough in its own right? I was really struck by this when driving with 2 freinds in their 993s. The stovepipe fenders, the narrow body etc etc. The appeal of my old 912 was the wonderful lightness in the handling, too, compared to the more solid 964 experience.

Would you retro-ise your ride?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would'nt take one backwards but I'd sure like to put a MoTec 3.6 into a lightweight bodykit.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Would you retro-ise your ride?"
No . To much money for no real payback .
Old 11-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

No . To much money for no real payback .
Ditto.
If it's the performance you want in an old-school looking car I'd rather do a Jack Olsen type thing than retro a 964.

c
Old 11-21-2005, 08:52 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw that article, too. Really liked the 964 Retro they put together. Even happened to be the same color as mine-Midnight Blue. From the description it sounds like they do a little more than just "adding old fashioned fiberglass bumpers, ducktail and fuchs-a-like". The issues of having the front clip remain the same underneath, addressing the rocker panels-I liked the mirrors, too (even if they look kind of useless), show more than a little thought.

I also think the 964 is a very attractive looking car already. Certainly much better looking than the impact bumper cars that preceded it. I don't know that I would make this kind of change, but I wouldn't blame someone who did.

Starting with a 964 instead of an early car is more than just about changing the engine. Consider, the suspension, transmission, power steering, and safety issues such as air bags, too. 964s also weigh quite a bit more than early cars.

I say, do what you like, it's your car. As cool as a 964 is, 964s aren't especially rare or unique in and of themselves.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were they making a sleeper? The 964 is a powerful beast. Add the looks of old school and you'ld definetely pull one over on some unsuspecting Porsche's at the light.

I don't think that I would do it, but that route is easier than upgrading an SC with a 3.6 and the late suspension. So, I can see where there coming from and think I it makes since.

Duncan
Old 11-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Why not mention the magazine?? 911 & Porsche World. Great article and it is just more than swapping for old style units... they make the spoilers to fit the 964 and give the look of the 1970s car without having to do body work, they even have the fuchs wheels on size 18. It was quite clever how they went about doing a bolt on mod.

I have always wanted to have a 1973 RS but with the versatility of the modern cars (light clutch, good a/c, 3.6 power). I already email those guys to see if they would sell the parts (currently they only sell complete cars).

With the prices of some 964s it is very tempting to find one and make this mod. Best of both world. imho of course

Quick Reply: Retro-ising the 964. Creativity or heresy?