Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well my tail lamps and center reflector are finally shot...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well my tail lamps and center reflector are finally shot...

They have filled up with water and are faded and cracked. I have put it off as long as I can, but now the stop lights are not working properly. I am also tired of taking them off and blowing them out with compressed air to dry them out.

So where is the best place to order replacements at a good price??
Old 11-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join the club.

Right now I can't afford to buy new ones either. I'm hoping that the lights I have as well as other parts that are need of replacement will hold out for another year and a half. I owe a lot to the rennlist patriots that have come to my rescue here recently with my taillight issues.

Thanks Guys,
Duncan
Old 11-21-2005, 10:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When you do decide on replacement, I would suggest the Euro rear center reflector (fog light):
http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/me...ht_article.htm
from
http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/Merc...egory_Code=850
It fills in that "missing" switch on your dashboard above the radio (rear fog light swtich). Rear reflector is Euro OEM.
Direct replacement to install rear European center reflector. European style includes the center reflector, fog light swith, **** and necessary hardware.

Then you can add this (simple plug in relay), European light bridge:
Allows headlight low-beams to stay on when high-beams are turned on. Also allows fog lights to operate with parking lights and remain on with the high-beams. Simple plug-in replacement installation.

I installed both of these on my 94 (what the hell was I thinking when I sold it ) RSAmerica and was very happy with the results.
Of course this then lead to clear front lenses:
and H4 headlight upgrade:
http://www.vertexauto.com/item.wws?s...vertexauto.com
Old 11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lewis - I'd be very wary of the "European light bridge" that Schatz sells.

When I was buying relays for my H4 upgrade, I e-mail Daniel Stern and he advised in no uncertain terms that that bridge was a very bad idea.

A portion of the e-mail exchange is below:

"On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Marc Shaw wrote:

I plan to install 80/100 watt bulbs and a "European lighting bridge" that allows
the regular headlights to stay on when the high beams are switched on (so
both filaments on at the same time with high beam only)"

His reply:

"VERY VERY DANGEROUS and whoever is selling it as "European" is telling you
lies. No European-spec (or any other) vehicle with twin-filament headlamp
bulbs runs both at the same time. The bulbs are not made to withstand it.
They are pressurized to 10 atmospheres *cold* and tend to turn into
grenades with the 100% thermal overload you are proposing -- not to
mention the severe voltage drop across the common filament
support/conductor. DON'T DO IT!!

The reason why that bridge exists is that
early 911s used twin-bulb (H1/H1) headlamps, which *do* need to be wired
up so the lows stay on with the highs, 'cause on that system the lows
provide the width and fill and the highs provide the reach. But using it
with H4s is just begging to frag your headlamp lenses and reflectors when
the H4 bulbs overheat and explode."

Marc
p.s. I got my rear reflector and tail-lights from Pelican.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Try sunset imports. Cheapest place I found 2 years ago. Over $500 back then before the crazy price increases.
I do still have my old set if anybody is interested. Faded and the usual spider cracks. Never noticed them leaking but no guarantees. $50 plus actual shipping for all 3 pieces. Would rather ship US. Dont have any picture and heading off for the holidays but can take some next week. PM if interested
Old 11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mark,
Thank you for the post.
I was under the assumption that if you ran a lower wattage bulb in the H4 (not the 80/100's), then the bridge was fine.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lewis - excellent point.

I don't know the answer but I just thought you (and everyone else) should at least be wary of the high watt bulb and bridge combination.

Marc
p.s. sorry for hi-jack.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:13 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pete000
So where is the best place to order replacements at a good price?? :
Have you tried silicone caulking and painting (CLICK HERE) your existing tail-lights? For the $6-800USD replacement cost (new lights will still fade to pink after 2 years) you can buy a LOT of paint.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 11-22-2005 at 05:51 AM. Reason: html links aren't always obvious
Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Get yourself a can of CLEAR, TRANSPERANTE RED SPRAY VARNISH; the car tuners, like me use this colour red, black and green to spray our tail lights, side reflectors, etc. at a car center. As it’s clear the transparency remains, great stuff, at the same time the varnish is rock hard and seals up hair line micro cracks. I have an MX5,(photo) I used this clear spray varnish to redden up the lights, reflectors and sprayed my roll bar. It’s a option, if you are able to spray with an aerosol can, (don’t take that wrong), it’s not only a cheaper way but, long-lasting as well. At my site below or some where page 3 or 4 of this forum is the: NEW GUY IN TOWN PHOTOS with my proof, I sprayed my grey reflector in-between my fog and directional lenses, to clear jet black, to break and define the orig. colours. If I can help, you can find me, or RICEY around,..THX.

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 11-22-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Testors Candy Apple Red model paint will also help brighten up the taillights. Usually you need to put a couple of coats on it, wet sand it, then clear coat them. I have never done them on a 911, but did them years ago on a set of faded red taillights and it turned out great. If your tails are already shot, what do you have to lose other than a few bucks on paint?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:50 AM
shophobbit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the center lens at 9xauto for 289. Cheapest I've seen it.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:25 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

LONG DUCK DONG, the last thing you do is sand the red plastic! I have done this a million times! The scratches either show through, or the surface is now too soft and will mate the transparent reflection.. A solid colour spray, I'm with you, but not clear varnish sprays. HARD TO HARD! Yes, several fine, EAST TO WEST coats, the coat must be semi-dry before application of the following coat, don't overspray a coat in one shot. LDD, I asked if, this man had experiance, if not, to buy new. Hey you guys come here on vacation and I'll spray for you, I have all the colours!! Look at my MX5, or my sites, you'll see my work. No offence LDD,...Marc A.

PS. Remove, de-grease with white spirit, stay away from plastic eating solvent cleaners, the surface must be oil free, dry and clean, tape up the edges for that factory clean look, go outside, newspaper, secure it against any gusts of wind that could come up, no wind needed, must be still, must be dry and warm outside, spray several fine coats, two' ish feet away, left to right, and right to left, when tacky dry after several hours, move the parts inside, don't leave them out over night, allow 24 hrs to dry rock hard, remove tape, reinstall, and watch your friends,....."WTF!!" have you done!!!! Everyone will want you!!!! And the most important, HAVE A BEER IN BETWEEN COATS WHILE SPRAYING, good for the tempo,.... GOOD LUCK from here.

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 11-22-2005 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 AM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree....here is pictures of the results. These aren't my tails, but I got the idea from this guy.
Before, Orange peel and a couple of bad spots.

After wetsanded and buffed
Old 11-22-2005, 04:19 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

LONG DUCK DONG, and that's what makes planet earth such a great place to live on, I give my advice, and it's for free, the option I offer is one that I have used many times as: Applicator and not a by-standee, in the end the choice is a free one, I can only offer MY EXPERIANCES. Hey no offence, I’m sure these guys will probably stay as is or buy new. What am I actully looking at? Spects=dust in the air,. Orange peel= Too cold a spray + Too cold a surface + Too thick a coat, it gives a sort of inter-eating reaction of spray,or O.P.....BUT YOU WILL AGREE, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SUGGESTED,....SPRAY AND NOT SOME ACCRLIC ""model paint "", THAT "YOU" SPOKE OF,. BTW didn't I post an answer to you a few days ago about something? Sleep well, I'm going to walk the dog,..Marc A.

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 11-22-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

LONG DUCK DONG, were those pics just taken? Nice camera work, I'm hungry,..A hard finish, a mirror like reflection, is obtained only in a dry area, with fast dry spray paints, with no humidity in the air. Your friend is good, him and I should go into the business!!, all the best,....Marc A.

PS. It takes guys like you and me to post our ideas, and we did, nice one!!

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 11-22-2005 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Well my tail lamps and center reflector are finally shot...