Sponsored by:

More pix. this time about oil leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005 | 09:53 AM
wormzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More pix. this time about oil leak :(

Some time ago was consulting here on oil leak I discovered to my sad surprise.

Just yesterday put her on a ramp and took off the engine tray. Here's what I found under it.
The oil on the drips is clean and fresh. Mostly around the screws and bolts. I wiped out it with a cloth, but the places of leakage are still well visible on the pics.

Any susggestions on what could it be?
Attached Images    
Old 11-20-2005 | 11:58 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wormzz, It is definitely oil. And it coming from the engine...seriously now I am sure it look a lot worse than the leak actually is. I would start with some degreaser and pressure wash, 20 kms and back on the ramps. You should by then have a clear idea on where the oil is coming from.

The first two photos are a little concerning as there is quite a lot of oil around the heads & barrels, you dont mention what year your car is so it is hard to say if it is because of the notorious early 964 head leaks or not. The last picture is rocker covers and are also prone to leaks but not a big deal.

Best bet is do as I have suggested and post some pics then.
Old 11-20-2005 | 02:44 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youcef's right, clean it off so you can see for sure where it's coming from. One suggestion I would make, though, is to put the car up on the ramps and then run it for 20 minutes or so. That way you can see where the oil is leaking and it won't get blown around while you're driving.
Brian
Old 11-20-2005 | 09:14 PM
wormzz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Youcef
Wormzz, It is definitely oil. And it coming from the engine...seriously now I am sure it look a lot worse than the leak actually is. I would start with some degreaser and pressure wash, 20 kms and back on the ramps. You should by then have a clear idea on where the oil is coming from.

The first two photos are a little concerning as there is quite a lot of oil around the heads & barrels, you dont mention what year your car is so it is hard to say if it is because of the notorious early 964 head leaks or not. The last picture is rocker covers and are also prone to leaks but not a big deal.

Best bet is do as I have suggested and post some pics then.
Hi,
sorry forgot to mention, it's C2 '91.
Old 11-20-2005 | 10:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

It looks as though this oil leak is from above, most likely from the breather hose or oil pressure sending unit (area).
Old 11-20-2005 | 10:55 PM
wormzz
Track Day

Originally Posted by chris walrod
It looks as though this oil leak is from above, most likely from the breather hose or oil pressure sending unit (area).
Not sure... It seems that oil is soaking through the gaskets on those screws, shown with the arrows.

More pix here.
Attached Images      
Old 11-21-2005 | 09:25 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

As a guide , look for the highest oil leak point ,starting at the top of the motor.
That gravity stuff means it will always end up where your pics show it.
There is so much oil on the cam covers that they could be the cause ?
Too early to start stripping the motor !!!
Good luck,
Geoff
Old 11-21-2005 | 09:40 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

First of all, overall, it does not look that bad.

I agree with the comments here... Clean that puppy and not just on the bottom... put some degreaser in the engine (not on the electrical... you can get to most areas with the degreaser without getting it to the dist caps). Rinse and repeat.

Then go high first checking the most common areas for leaks like the breather cap/hose, oil sender unit, steering pump hoses.

It also looks like you have the old mag valve covers. In my case that was one source of leaks. Those corrode and leak. Need to update to the aluminum units (and be prepared for a cost shock! ).

Quick Reply: More pix. this time about oil leak :(