Sponsored by:

My 5 year old strikes again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 5 year old strikes again...

...and thought he could climb up the back of the cab by holding onto the "pod" taillight, and SNAP - now it's dangling.

Having already resolved that having a 5 year old means fixing things on a regular basis, is there an easy fix for the pod? The wiring is intact, it's jus the plastic at the base that is snapped.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

If it were me,…Removal, good old “SUPER GLUE GEL”, 24 hours hardening time, sand any excess on the exterior and go to your local Porsche or car centre, spray this base in the same white, no.908, or go black satin, the official finish of all the blacks on Porsche. Reinstall the base, after cleaning the black joint rubber, polish the entire car, and post a pic. If you were here, I’d do it for you, the base that is, not the polish, good luck!!....Marc A.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pitched a white "cyclops" brake light a month or so ago when cleaning out my garage too.....I knew I should have kept that around, I switched to a 993 brake light and didn't figure I would ever need it again.

Anyway, I say superglue it back too.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

haha. sorry, but i'm laughing just picturing that. it'll happen to me one day too, i'm sure. hopefully it's an inexpensive fix.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the funny thing is I asked him point blank - "Did you break off the red light off your dad's Porsche?" He says "No! No way!"......"ummmm... you mean the one that sticks up in the back?"

Superglue it is!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The infamous "not me" strikes again.

Marc
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold it on the super glue...it is a cyanoacrilate (CA)...not very good "shock" resistance. 3M makes some outstanding products that will produce a chemical bond, stronger than a CA. I sell 3M, and have seen glued metal and plastic tossed about like a soccer ball. 3M Scotch-weld DP-810 ought to do the trick. Just trying to help your little one summit Mt. Porsche
Old 11-14-2005, 09:07 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread is great. Rick posts about his 5yr old mishap with the 964 and 2 different posters with kids & 964's in their avatars come back with expert experienced advice!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
This thread is great. Rick posts about his 5yr old mishap with the 964 and 2 different posters with kids & 964's in their avatars come back with expert experienced advice!
Hey, most of our peers are driving Minivans, so we gotta stick together!

Rob, where do you get the 3M product - Are we talking Home Depot? Mail order? I think you're right about the shock resistance....
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a local 3M industrial rep... RS Hughes is a pretty big company. They usually sell in small qty's when you call the local office.

http://rshughes.com/catalog/308260.html

You know, this may be tough as you'll need 3M's applicator ($35) plus glue ($15). Give me a day. I may be able to get you a sample tube and just send you an applicator you can return when finished.

Update: I spoke to my 3M rep. If you can identify the type of plastic, we can figure out which DP product would be best. If not he said try CA-40H. Yes, it is a cyanoacrtilate, but it has pretty high shock resistance...much better than the standard super glue.

http://rshughes.com/products/021200_21073.html

If you can't buy 1 bottle...let me know and I will get you a sample. Let me know if you want any application tips. At least is dries white!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:20 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

My friends, what constitutes a shock? I thought I was giving advise on how to make a quick, inexpensive repair to a piece of broken plastic the size of a $0.50 piece, ( still made?, I left NYC, in’74) instead of something complicated involving so many recipes? Okay, if the shock is so great to cause a hair-line crack to this piece of plastic once repaired, I’m afraid your Porsche will have been involved in something that, the daily news papers write about... If you don’t trust good old, Superglue “GEL”, then do as I suggested but, with a 2 PART EPOXY glue, that any hardware store sells. My friends, don’t complicate something so easy, as they say, “Trust me”,....
Marc A

Last edited by AGNEW, Marc; 11-15-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:27 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Thumbs up

Nutbeem(Rick) So did it work? I feel very involved in this repair, my name is on the line, my reputation at stake! Hope so, not too much glue in between the fingers? Monster ouch!!, all the best to you and the 5 year old,.
Marc A.

Last edited by AGNEW, Marc; 11-17-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Hahaha - thanks Marc, I'm on it this weekend. I need clarity of thought, a 72 degree day, a fridge full of beer, and a few hours to invest. I'll report back!

(Of course, after a few beers, I might think it's cool to superglue the thing to the spoiler and watch it go up and down...)

Quick Reply: My 5 year old strikes again...