Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone familliar with APEXi AFC????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:51 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone familliar with APEXi AFC????

i was wondering if this stuff works
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEXi...QQcmdZViewItem
thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

I really, really need to mount the Wideband-02 and log the datapoints onthe fuel curve. I just don't see the non-turbo cars running out of fuel unless major mods have been done. Christer, Adrian? Did either of you uncover shortcomings in the duty-cycle of injectors and being out of head-room for stock'ish setups?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi RDR

I think 9M consider around 300fwhp to be the limit on stock injectors, Colin (or Ninemester) is the man to ask. It is unlikely therefore that a stockish setup will be getting near that.

FWIW, that Apexi gadget looks pretty basic to me. And cheap. The 200rpm increment seems very high to be any good. I wouldn't buy it unless you know what you are doing, because I bet no one else does either...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:37 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

That's what I thought. I too agree it looks to have a very rudimentary table structure and probably wouldn't do anything except f-up an otherwise function DME. Thanks for the confirm Christer.

Mike - It's a LOT of work to re-map DME or go standalone (btdt...). Just adding fuel as in the Apexi mod is really only going to get you something if you're a turbo-guy, running out of fuel on CIS; but can't go to EFI. Then and only-then would mucking about with a piggy-back fueler gain you something, assuming of course you boosted past the limits of CIS anyway.

Don't be swayed by the pictures on eBay and claims of mega HP by Apexi. Gains in normally aspirated cars (big ones) come in displacement, stroke & compression in the torque band. Other wonderous tweaks (higher overlap cams & such) for the high-end HP. Whichever end of the spectrum you're chasing they aren't just a little black-box away.

All that being said, if you can find someone that speaks the wonderous language of Motronic, and understands the tables; you can (like Adrian) unlock higher performance realms, but it isn't a DIY type of thing.

Jumping off my soap-box... sorry for the long reply. I just get really annoyed with that eBay add because I look at it darn near every time!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I think one only has to ask themselves...If all this free horsepower and fuel economy was such low hanging fruit, why don't the car makers themselves tap into it?

Answer: The gains are not real, only imagined. I want to see dyno runs with some details.

Quick Reply: anyone familliar with APEXi AFC????