Sponsored by:

car keeps cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 02:28 PM
chayten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car keeps cutting out

hi guys,the runs great but every now and again (getting more and more often) the car won't tick over properly and sometimes even cuts out,theres no particular time it happens when both cold and hot,any help would be much apprieciated,thanks a lot chayten
Old 10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Chayten, let me be the first to chide you for an astonishing lack of detail.

Year, tranny, miles, last tune-up, last fuel filter change, rolling to a stop, accelerating, slowing...you get the idea.

Nice collection of cars by the way. You either have a rather large garage or spend a good deal of time washing cars.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Sounds to me like a problem in fuel delivery. You could try swapping in your spare DME relay if you have one (It's a 964 owner's must have item).

Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 AM
chayten
Advanced

lol very new at this C4russ

the car is a 1990 C2 manual with 120000 miles on it,as far as modifications go it has a roock cat-by-pass and a k&n air filter and it was lowered when we fitted the coil over suspension.the last filter change was just over four months ago for its yearly service carried out by P.C.T..It tends to happen first thing in the mornings when the car is cold but im not to worried about that because once we're moving it fine and then when your slowing down at a set of traffic lights or roundabouts etc.thanks,only a small garage but a very big yard.

thanks PC2 going down to the local porsche centre in about half an hour to pick it up,is the dme in the main relay box

thanks a lot chayten
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it's in the front fuse/relay box.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you get a bosch hammer read out. Post the results back on the forum. I have learned that chasing down such a problem sometimes costs more than a diagnosis. The problem is probably easy to fix, but only if you know what it is. Easteregging is never a good idea.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

My car cuts out to let me know that noone stole my super duper lightweight flywheel
Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 PM
chayten
Advanced

Default update

hi,i changed the dme relay and the car was running great ticked over at just under 1000 revs,never cut out and ticked over perfect.it's been fine for about a week and a half and then today it has started cutting out again (with the same symptoms as at the beggining of the thread + one more the car has revved up to about 1500 revs and then dropped back down by it self,could you let me no anythink else it could be

thanks again for your help chayten
Old 11-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Three words: AIR FLOW METER...get ahold of a spare and change it out for a week to see if that's the problem, sounds like the culprit...just went through that BS.

Now the car is faster than ever, seems that thing was going "whacky" for quite some time.

PC2 (uh - Peter) NICE INVENTORY!! Man, I remember when you had just the Tip C2 and one O'doze Bimmer thingeys. Wow, I leave here for a few months and everything changes!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
PC2 (uh - Peter) NICE INVENTORY!! Man, I remember when you had just the Tip C2 and one O'doze Bimmer thingeys. Wow, I leave here for a few months and everything changes!
Hi Jeff - Nice seeing you on the board again. Yup, got bitten by the track bug and never healed. What's worse is this disease is spreading.....I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
chayten
Advanced

ok thanks jeff,ill try and pick one up tommorow and let you no the results
thanks chayten

Quick Reply: car keeps cutting out