Non functional rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Wipperman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non functional rear spoiler

Hi,

I have a 964 -92 which I bought a couple of weeks ago.
I knew that car had some minor problems bit I bought it as a “winter project”.
The spoiler is stuck and nothing happens when im using the switch.
I connected 12V direct to the spoiler engine and I now have a “raised” spoiler.
Any suggestions?

Best regards

Anders
Old 11-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Does it rise by itself once the car is running over 7 mph?

Might be the dash switch if it goes up on its own.

Marc
Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Wipperman
Intermediate

Hi,
The spoiler is completly dead, I managed to raise it by connecting 12V to the spoiler engine.

Best regards

Anders
Old 11-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked the fuse for the spoiler (can't remember which one off hand)?

Marc
Old 11-06-2005, 08:32 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the controller. The controller is located high and left in the passenger's footwell on the USA cars, and I expect it is the same in Europe. You can check the limit swithes at the connector for the controller, and you can verify it has 12 volt power. Regrettably my stuff is in storage for now and I can't get you the pin designations for the controller.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Wipperman
Intermediate

Hi,

I checked the easy things first, the fuse was OK, I will measure to verify that its power on that fuse.
I will then attack the controller, I will try to get hold of a electrical diagram to understand how the controller works.

Thanks everybody!

Anders
Old 11-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Wipperman
Intermediate

I bought the 964 out of an impulse, I was demonstrating the concept of bidding at ebay.de for my girlfriend and placed a low bid on a car, problem was that I ended up with the highest bid and I got it.
The 964 had a decent service history and a accident back in 1993 that was fixed by Porsche Germany.
The paintwork was OK but looked “tired”.
I got a extra set of cup2” 17” and the original exhaust in the deal.
My plan was to get everything into the car and drive back to Sweden.
It was kind of tricky to get the wheels into the 964. I had to remove the passenger seat and had 2 wheels in the backseat and 2 on the floor on the passenger side, the seat was then placed on the wheels.
It was like playing tetris :-)
The shocks where crap, it looked more like a SUV than a sports car and it need a 4 wheel alignment. The seller bought a Chrysler seebring as a replacement for the Porsche, that Implies that the car hasn’t been driven hard but not necessary according to the “Porsche-guidebook”.
I bought the car in Frankfurt Germany and drove north to the town of Puttgarden (6 hours) and was planning to take the ferry to Denmark. It was some serious congestions on the Autobahn and I couldn’t turn on the radio because of the wheels, but the sound of the engine was fantastic :-)
When I got the Puttgarden it was late, hadn’t sleept much that week and decided to use a local hotel and start early next day.
I got up at 6 am, quick breakfast and then off.
Problem was that the car didn’t start, the starter cranked but the engine didn’t fire.
I checked the DME and it smelled funny.
For those of you that knew about Germany and Saturdays, everything closes 2 pm and open up on Monday.
I speak decent German and managed to get the car towed to an AUDi/VW dealer, they couldn’t do a thing but had access to the warehouse system of Porsche and saw that Porsche center in Lübeck had a couple of DMEs.
I borrowed a car and drove to Lübeck, it’s a 1 hour drive and it wasn’t easy to find.
When I got to the P-center I realized that the department selling spare parts was closed.
I now started to get nervous, I had 1.5 hour to go until all shops where closed and it was 60 km to the next Porsche center in Hamburg.
I drove the small borrowed car flat out on the Autobahn, I didn’t want to spend a couple of extra days in Germany.
I know that its two Porsche centers in Hamburg and drove to the biggest one.
I realized that there was a lot of construction work with de-tours in the city of Hamburg and parked the car and took a taxi.
I had 40 minutes to go before closing and started to be nervous.
The first thing I saw at the Porsche center was a sign saying that the department selling spare parts was closed on Saturdays.
I began to be extremely nervous….
The sign wasn’t updated, they where selling spare parts during weekends and I bought two DME:s
I drove back to the AUDI/VW shop, installed the DME and the car didn’t start.
The AUDI/VW mechanics said that it wouldn’t start and that I should have it towed to Porsche because the electrical system could be damaged by replacing the DME.
I cranked it a couple of times an then it started.
I was more than happy and I managed to impress the mechanics which had a perception that a Porsche owner cant fix their own cars :-)
What I’m trying to say is that I wont surrender.
Im going to sort out this car myself and I’m not going to give up install a fixed wing spoiler.
I will adjust the valves myself and use the 964a as a daily driver.
H&R cup-sport coilover system has been ordered and Im working on the “to-do” list.
It’s a fantastic car :-)

Best regards

Anders
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's a new one... Showing your girlfriend how to bid on ebay? I did the same once but started out on PC parts... Not cars. I like your style!

Sounds like you had an adventure in Germany. It was fun to read your story. Welcome to Rennlist... I hope you get all the issues sorted and the fun upgrades handled soon! Sorry... I have a fixed tail... I can't help on the first issue.

Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiya Wipperman
I'm not sure I believe your story about the accidental buy , but what the heck you got yourself a 964 . Some people are just lucky I guess .
Have you checked the limit switches ?
On the underside of the spoiler near abouts to the spoiler motor , the switches that "say" its all the way up or down .

Quick Reply: Non functional rear spoiler