Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does a 3.6 964 engine last (PURCHASE QUESTION)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:34 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I would try to find out what really happened to this car, insurance companies do not salvage Porsche 964s for "very light damage to the driver's side rear 1/4 panel". For some reason everytime a Porsche with a rebuilt title shows up on eBay with the seller claiming minor damage it ALWAYS turns out to be the exact opposite.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,

I remember the red 964 that some scoundrels bought from LA Auction for salvage, crammed some JB Weld in the cracked engine block and tried to sell. I also remember how Rennlisters did the research and saved the guy who bought it.......at the last minute....from the purchase.

In general, would a PPI include a thorough body examination, or does one have to take the car to a body shop too?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueman33
In general, would a PPI include a thorough body examination, or does one have to take the car to a body shop too?
I guess it would depend on how competent the shop is that is doing the PPI. If they are good with cars mechanically, but don't really deal with bodywork, then I'd find a body shop to inspect the car as well. For example, my mechanic has dealt with enough 911's for 30 years that he could tell if the car was hit or not and if it was repaired correctly. So, I would have to only make one stop for a PPI. It really depends on the shop and tech doing the PPI.

I feel that since this car has a salvage title and insurance companies won't just total an expensive 911 for a minor 1/4 panel damage (as Jason mentions above), there must be something else lurking on this car. Hence, I would be hesitant to have just a mechanical PPI performed and would want to know the full story on this car and if it's been hit hard.

If the car has been hit and repaired correctly (the key term being correctly), then it still might be a good car and may provide years of service. If the car is cobbled together, but appears presentable to the naked eye (it does look good in the pics), that's the stuff you have to worry about since driveability can be affected by a shoddy or incomplete repair.

You also have to think about what you intend to use the car for and how soon you'd resell it. If you want a driver only, then maybe a damaged car that has been repaired correctly is just fine. Drive it and enjoy it. If you want something that is cosmetically very nice, then you may not want to settle for a car that might have been hit.

Depending on when this car would be resold again, resale value is affected a bit since this car carries a salvage title. The next buyer after you will have the same questions that we are all asking. If you keep the car for 10 years and put another 100,000 miles on it, then the car will be depreciated to a point where as long as it's running well, the car will probably sell at a price point that the next buyer won't care too much about a salvage title that was assigned to the car 10-15 years prior. If you drive this car for a year, put 3000 miles on it and then go to sell it, you'll have a few questions from buyers due to the short period of time you owned it and the salvage title.

Jay
90 964
Old 11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second Jay's assessment. Cosmetics look good, (except the wheels are nasty, IMHO) but the high running temp would bother me (probably the o/c fan resistor, but if that's not working, what else has been ignored?) I think I'd throw in some w/w fluid to get rid of the warning light if I were trying to sell a car. And shouldn't the ! warning light be on when the parking brake is on? What other lights aren't working? Salvage title, I dunno, could be minor, but gee, why would an insurance co. do that for what the guy makes sound like a scratch? Definitely two PPIs - good body guy, good mech guy. And the mileage doesn't scare me particularly - I'm at 125k and counting. So this could be a good deal, but check it very carefully. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:18 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

This car has way too many unknowns. $15K is serious money. Spend just a little more than that to get something with a better history.

The paint on this one looks way too good for a high-mileage car, so there has likely been a complete respray. This car was in a major collision, or has been under water. Most of us are very happy with 964 ownership experience. Buy poorly, and the purchase price plus repairs will be far more than the cost for a very nice car. Even after repairs, the car will still have the history and ongoing problems. Search the forum for some of the horror stories. Run away from this car!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Blueman33
Pro

He definitely isn't upfront about what totalled the car. With that florida plate in the photo I wonder if it was flooded in one of the several hurricanes in the last while.

Here in New Orleans, a car flooded any amont whatsoever by Katrina is totalled if you have Allstate.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

I never was a fan of the D-90's but I actually like the looks of them painted gunmetal grey.

As for it having "minor damage" and getting a salvage title, I think I'd have to call BS on that one. I have a funny feeling this car has a helluva story behind it.

Last edited by Long Duck Dong; 11-06-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:41 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

run don't walk
Old 11-06-2005, 02:03 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have passed on cars because of no front sticker. My philosophy was that if the car didn't have the sticker, and either A) the owner doesn't know what happened or B) I can't physically see the car, then I assume the history is questionable, and for me, that is a red flag.

It might just be me, but in the front end pics, the indicator lights and fog lights look brand new. That coupled with new hood (?) = why there is a salv title? I am not sure. Be wary.

Your tolerance for risk may be higher than mine. I suggest being very patient, it's very hard. I did so and no regrets. There are cars out there, just keep searchin. You will know when you find 'the one'.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I talked to Mark Tashjian of Formula Motorsports who is very knowledgeable and is in the area where the car is.

He thought I was insane. A car that is selling from an area of Brooklyn known to be low end seedy used car dealers. A title that will kill the resale and the owner doesn't even attempt to explain. The 4S brand on a car which didn't even exist in 1989, and he thought the price was way too high at $15,700 because he sees cars in good shape, lower mileage, with legit titles go for $3-5k more. He seemed to really know his stuff and he talked me out of it.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Some suspension bits were purchased new from dealer. "
Is the big red S on the tail for salvage ?

Before thinking of buying this one , take it to a 3rd ppi , get the thing into an frame alignment shop that knows the 964 and have the body checked for straightness . Try to make sure that the impact that took out the "suspension bits " didn't bend / break anything else .
Old 11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, do the two PPIs as suggested, and unless they report very troubling results, offer the seller $10k and see what happens.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Is the big red S on the tail for salvage ?

Quick Reply: How long does a 3.6 964 engine last (PURCHASE QUESTION)