Sponsored by:

Lowered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowered!

Just a quick pic of the new stance. Thanks to several rennlisters for advice on the set-up and fitting. Next stop in Costal PCA DE at Roebling.

Dave
89 C4
Old 11-04-2005, 08:51 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

It never fails to surprise me how great 964s look when they're set to a lower ride height. Looks great! And your wheels look awesome too!
Brian
Old 11-04-2005, 08:53 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great. What set up did you do and did you do it yourself?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Jasko
Racer

Thanks guys,

I couldn't believe how much better she looked either. My old 115K mile shocks were a bit worse off than I thought, and she sagged in the back. Also, the front end was all over the place on the highway with the old struts, which I had figured was "normal" for these cars. However, now I can take my hands off the wheel at 90+, and she stays straight on. Even with -3 camber, which I thought would add to the nervousness of the front end.

I put on H&R coilovers (progressives260-275f, 275-290r), for no other reason than I got them for a deal. The change is incredible!! THe car feels much more responsive and sticks on the highway ramps. I'll get a better feel next weekend at the track down at Roebling. I like a stiffer ride, and don't mind a bit of rattle, but I definitely slow down at the RR tracks now. I also put on a TRG 22mm 3way adjustable rear swaybar at the same time, in order to get rid of some of the front end "plowing". I really wanted a "Stage 1" upgrade for the suspension, as I'm not sure whether or not she will stay as a street car or...

It took me the better part of the weekend to take it off and to put it all together. I followed Jeff Curtis' write up - he was right on the entire way. The main problem was getting the rear bolt out of the control arm. Thanks to all of the rennlisters (Bill G, Tom M, Burgess, and a few others) who offered advice. The TRG rear sway bar was an easy fit, with the main problem getting my old drop links loose enough to match up with the adjustable holes in the new bar.

I'll let you all know how she really feels after next weekend.

Dave
89 C4
Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Looks great; can't wait to see what mine looks like. H&R springs, Bilstein HDs, and Puma and I sare swapping sway bars. Oh yeah- a Racing Dynamics Strut brace also.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Jasko
Racer

Hawk911,

You won't believe how much different the car feels after you get it all installed. I thought she handled well prior to the install, but boy was I wrong. Once you get the stuff in, you will wonder why you didn't make the change sooner. I mean 115K on the car should have been a clue for me that the shock/ struts were gone. But when I would give the car the old shock test of pushing on the fender to feel for bounce, she felt stiff, so I thought everything was OK with the old original setup. I guess that the old springs were stiff enough to make that test inaccurate, but when I took off the old struts, I could easily compress and extend them by hand with very light pressure. The compression/ rebound was gone. I couldn't budge the new ones by hand prior to putting them on.

I also put in a TRG strut bar, but with all of the changes, I can't judge if it is making any difference, but it sure looks GOOD!

Dave
89 C4
Old 11-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Christer
Race Car

Jasko, it does look nice but it also looks awefully low. Lower than RS I would say unless there is a weird camber where it is parked. Just be careful you don't go too low. Did you ask for Euro RS specs or what?
Old 11-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Jasko
Racer

Christer,
I still can't figure out how to measure the height "by the book". Measured from the fenders its f 25 1/4", r 24 7/8" which I know is a little lower than in Bruce Anderson's recommendation of f 25 1/2", r 25". From the jack points its f 4 3/4", r 5 1/8". I can't figure out how to get an accurate measurement from the rear control arm while its sitting on the ground. I know its a little low, but fortunately its FLAT here in Charleston!
Its setup for a track setup with about -3 camber front and rear. My mechanic who did the setup uses the "string" method, so it has about 2.5mm toe in front, and 1.5mm toe in rear, if I remember correctly. I don't know what this translates to in degrees.
Does anyone run toe out in the front on a track car?

Dave
89 C4

Quick Reply: Lowered!