Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has replaced window seals on a cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
Question Who has replaced window seals on a cabrio?

The seals on my car are worn and are leaking water. The fabric covering is frayed and somewhat hard. I have purchased new ones and plan to replace them myself. The seals to be replaced are the horizontal one at the top of the door window, the vertical one at the rear of the door window and the seal across the header of the windshield.

See numbers 89, 92, and 94 on Pelican Part's photo. http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/911_seals1.jpg

Has anyone done it themselves? In looking at the new seals it looks like the seals are held on with screws. Is the procedure to replace as simple as cutting off the old ones, removing the screws and replacing? Should I use any glue or sealant between the rubber and the cab top?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I didn't replaced those seals. I just removed them and reinstall them when I replaced my cab top. #89 seals can be simply pried out one end and and pulled off the channel. To install the new #89 seals, you'll have to slide it in from one end and don't forget to lube it with liquid saop to make it slide throught the channel easier. #89 can be done easiest withthe top folding down. # 94 can be removed by lossening the four or five nuts in the back of the fram, with the top up. Installation is reverse of the removal. To remove both pieces, I would do #89 first and then #94. To install, I would do #94 first and then #89. Good luck. ANdy
Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Andy,

Thanks for the assistance, I replaced both sets this past weekend. The #89 seals were really easy. For anyone who is replacing the vertical seal (#94), I recommend that you put a rag covering the gaps in the interior carpet at the roof hingpoint to catch any dropped nuts and washers. Ask my how I know.

I also learned that these nuts and washers are non-magnetic. You can't fish them out of the cavity once they've dropped in. Fortunately, my local hardware store had them in stock so I was able to replace them easily.

Thanks again for giving me the confidence to replace them. The car looks much better and I'm sure the window seals better too.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also learned that these nuts and washers are non-magnetic. You can't fish them out of the cavity once they've dropped in. Fortunately, my local hardware store had them in stock so I was able to replace them easily.

Rob,
While most of us are exstrainiously trying figure out ways in which to make our cars weigh less, you have successfully added a few ounces to yours.

Duncan
Old 01-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Duncan,

That's funny. We were both thinking the same thing. I was joking with my friends who helped me on this project yesterday that we had "raised the CG" of the car by using steel nuts and washers. We were estimating it may be several grams in the two steel nuts and three washers.

I hope I haven't ruined the feel of the 964.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hah! That's what children are for! My kids have saved me many times getting bolt and nuts that have made their way into tight crevices!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob, Andy or anyone:

I too need to replace the seals you have spoken of, including the one across the top pf windshield frame. I did not see you mention how that went. Also, do either of you know if the job is basically the same for an earlier model - mine is a first year -1983.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Shane,

I haven't replaced the seal across the top of the windshield frame so I can't comment on how difficult it is. It has been a while since I looked at that area but I suspect that the seal is glued on.

As for the door window seals, I believe cabrio tops are similar between '83 and 964s. I just looked at Pelican's web site and they list replacement convertible tops and its the same part number for 1983 - 1994 model years. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...BDYtar_pg1.htm
Old 04-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Tom 328
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

Do you remember how much the vertical and horizontal seals on the top framing the door windows cost? I'm looking at buying a car that needs these and just wanted to gauge how much I'm looking at. (Can't seem to find these on Pelican either). Thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I don't remember. I want to say $75 each but I'm not certain.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Update: I just looked up current prices

Vertical rubber at the rear end of the door glass = $168
Horizontal rubber at the top of the door glass = $102

Approx total $500 for both doors.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Rob, Andy or anyone:

I too need to replace the seals you have spoken of, including the one across the top pf windshield frame. I did not see you mention how that went. Also, do either of you know if the job is basically the same for an earlier model - mine is a first year -1983.

Thanks,
Shane
Old question... but here is the answer... the seal over the windshield is just pressed in... pull the old one out and press the new one in place. Very easy to remove and replace. It is a one-piece seal that often breaks in to three pieces at the corners of the windshield.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:43 PM
will1831
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, sorry for reviving such an old thread but i can't seem to find clear informations over the forums.
Could anyone confirm how to install the seal numer 92 ? That's the long one on top of the windshield, a long one piece seal that goes all the way down on left and right side.
My doubt after some reading is that i would need to apply'some kind of permatex black silicone before putting it, others says that it's just remove old one and replace with new.
What's the proper way of doing this?
Any hint is welcome as'i'm! planning to do it'on mine very soon !

Cheers
Old 11-10-2020, 04:20 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive on my car. The #92 seal is very long so having a friend help is beneficial. Any tips? Its been a few years, but I glued in the top header first where you apply the glue, then each holds one side and you lay the rubber into the glue. Once that is affixed, then glued each side as a stage 2

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2908126&rt=rud

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 11-10-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:35 AM
will1831
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi Rob, thanks for your reply. I believe that thoroughly cleaning the surface before applying the silicone is a must, right ?
Did you remove only the old gasket ? or you did remove the locking pieces of the cab roof ? (you know .. the metallic pieces were the roof goes and lock itself)

I believe the PERMATEX BLACK SILICONE ADHESIVE SEALANT is a similar product. I'm asking this because the 3M one doesn't seem to be easily accessible here in europe. (belgium at least).
What do you think ?

permatex black

Thanks for the help !!

Quick Reply: Who has replaced window seals on a cabrio?