Sponsored by:

Could this be the one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shaynes
NO under hood sticker screams repaint or damage, those just don't fall off, so listen to everyone else, there is a high probability that the hood is not original and it has been damaged.
I agree about the sticker and potential repaint at the very least.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:21 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

hmm, good input. I guess that leads to a separate question. I have had probably 5 or more 'prospective' cars rejected due to various reasons. I mean cars I was very close on, not just browing on a list. I have rejected them due to rust, missing parts, missing histories, and now possible repaint/questionable history. My question is this.. is this common? Its taking quite a bit of resources (time,$$,travel) to find myself a good one. Perhaps I am being too picky? What do you all think?

BTW; nice bikes Harold, I have a SC Heckler x 2, and a Merlin Ti Hardtail as well. You have good taste in the 2 wheel fun.

Thanks again for all the good input.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I think all of your above questions depend on what you want to do with the car. Are you going to track it, race it, use it as a daily driver, drive it only on sunny days, etc....
Are you trying to preserve it for resale value? I think the price is very good (especially if they come down) and if the hood's been replaced/repainted then maybe this is why. Maybe whatever caused the front bumper damage also caused some hood damage. Take a hard look at all the seams and panels for other evidence of damage.
I remember how frustrating it is when you get close and then strike one off the list because of some little thing. There's lots of cars out there so don't think it's the only one. You'll find your baby eventually.

c
Old 10-23-2005, 11:06 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to be rational but at the same time recognize that this is an emotional purchase. I ignored several faults when I bought my car because I wanted the color. Many would say that is wrong, but I have no regrets.

I got a good price, but then I had to upgrade the suspension, buy new tires, and replace the clutch. All in all, it worked out to the same money I would have spent for a better example. But a better example probably would not have been close to home and in the color I wanted...

Use the "defects" as negotiating points. If this is the one for you on an emotional level then go for it. But try to stay cool when it comes to the price. Know the difference between things that can be easily fixed and things that scream walk away.

I personally am not one to reject a car based on damage history. If it was a good repair, then I use it as a negotiating point. If it is a bad repair I will walk away. But I use the car as a toy, not a trophy, and I don't care about a little nick or scratch. Just be more cautious around a car that has obviously been wrecked.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:28 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the option decal is not that big of deal. I know plenty that the owners just pealed them off to have a clean under hood. I guess my car has no value now with its decal have been removed what a bummer. Guess I will just drive it and sell it for parts later...Wonder if Porsche would make me a new decal if i ask nicely...

I am sure a proper PPI would reveal and body damage or repaint. Repaints are pretty easy to spot.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I got the options from Porsche, and the signs are not good. Here is the skinny:

- 4 owners, car started back east, there for 3 years or so.
- no option code for badge delete, so it's been removed.
- dealer also spoke a bit about price, and this car is probably 12-14k wholesale thus 24k is too much

At this point, the car is questionable enough that I have to pass. Odds are it's been resprayed, but with no documentation on the work, then it's too risky for me. Even if I offered 16-18k its still too risky based on no history, broken front intake area, and the the other questionable items. It might be ok for some people, but not for me.

patience, patience, patience, I must remind myself. ;-).

Thanks all for your help.

Quick Reply: Could this be the one?