Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the correct O2 Sensor part?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do happen to end up cutting the wires for the 02 sensor (not suggesting it!) you are better off to crimp & heat-shrink them back together rather than soldering. Back in the Audi days we would get screwy readings when soldering the O2 sensors...

Also generally a good idea to run a tap down the hole after removal to chase the threads and ensure you don't bugger the new one. Sorry for the late feedback on that particular point. I too have purchased my fair share of extra 02's after buggering threads.

I am debating plugging in my Innovative LM-1 WideBand 02 and using the NB-output feature to feed information back to the Porsche DME. It should give a faster and much more accurate response even after being interpolated back down from a 0-5v signal to a 0-1v signal. Plus I can datalog the A/F curves...

It sure would be nice to drop in the cat-delete at the same time. Anyone got one they want to part with???
Old 10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

OK , so we all have different ways around this connecting Lamda wires. I would have advised against crimping unless you can ensure a totally hermmetic seal- keep the moisture in the atmosphere out .Thats why I and others used soldering , using high temp solder.
The whole joining thing is best avoided !!
A Bosch NB lamda is a NB lamda .No difference in the lamda probe itself so dont worry if it is generic or oe.

Geoff
Old 10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya Red rooster
I have no way of saying one way or the other but a couple of guys I trust have writen that the porsche 02 sensor is the way to go .

"I would also advise following the suggestion from Rob, which is to check the type and part number of O2 sensor fitted.
The 964 requires a specific Porsche part number and substitution with a "cheaper version" is not advised."
Ciao,
Adrian.

"Just to reiterate what jimQ is saying, do not buy OEM Bosch oxygen sensors they are not plunge proof and you can have problems when driving in the rain. The only place that sells O2 sensors that are plunge proof are Porsche dealerships."
04-27-2005,
JasonAndreas
Old 10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I was never able to find anyone at Bosch USA that could confirm or deny their OEM versions as "plunge-proof". All they would confirm was that the connector was water-proof and had been for a few years. Because of the difference in cost between the OE and OEM version and the PITA factor of changing the O2 sensor, I'm sticking with OE.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Jason,
Hear what you are saying ! The other PIA is that Porsche are moving over to the 993 type connector on Lamda so a new probe comes with a harness connector to change !
Does anyone seriously think that Bosch have a seperate production line for Porsche lamda probes ? All current FWD/AWD from VAG have lamda probes situated where they get good and wet in rain / flood . A lamda probe that wasnt hermetically sealed wouldnt work ! All Bosch NB lamda probes are made the same way. The part number variations are largely to do with cable length and harness connector.Good to know if the supply situation goes bad or you are seriously stuck for a lamda probe.

Geoff
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
Does anyone seriously think that Bosch have a seperate production line for Porsche lamda probes ?
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Bosch had separate productions runs for PAG. For some reason almost every time I compare aftermarket OEM with OE there are differences; seals, rotors, coatings, release bearings, Mahle oil filters, etc. Porsche spent a lot of time engineering (or spec'ing) each part and for some reason the aftermarket likes to leave the little things out. One thing I do know is that quite a few people here over the years have had wet rough running issues solved by replacing their new O2 sensor with another one from Porsche (that and Porsche's warning in the workshop manuals about non-plunge proof O2 sensors). I will try again to find someone at Bosch Germany that might know.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:20 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stirring up the old thread

but it proves I used seach. Autohaus has the O2 sensor, but it's a little cheaper than others. Anyone know about this vendor and if they have the correct part?

Oxygen sensor

Last edited by hawk911; 03-11-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

I just bought this one - it's not too expensive and arrived in 1 day!

http://www.autopartsworld.com/new/pr...ra-4&x=82&y=14
Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I little more than the one i found, but I have no idea if the one at AutoHausz is correct. That gives me an option though. Thanks Garrett
Old 03-11-2006, 10:03 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a spare 4-wire sensor from my water cooled days. Anyone have an idea if this would work in a 964?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I have just changed the plugs on my P car and contemplated replacing the O2 sensor......except that the genuine part would cost me the equivalent of US$299......i was also told that the local service agent (very reputable company) carries a "universal" O2 sensor (half the price) and all they needed to know is whether it had 2 or 3 wires.
In the end the sensor came out and went back in without a problem.
If your new sensor came without the grommet i would definately be using a razor blade and carefully cutting out the wires.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
hawk911
Race Car

my idle situation has definitely gotten worse, and even when warm will hunt between 400 and 1200 rpm; almost to the point the car dies on the low side of idle. New O2 in the future anyway; 78K miles on the clock.

Quick Reply: Is this the correct O2 Sensor part?