Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 RS DME on Ebay.??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian, having your work misquoted (intentionally or unintentionally) is something you'll be better off getting used to or just ignoring. Take it as a compliment - that your book is the authority - and as in authorites of all kinds, the more it is referred to the more it will also be misunderstood/misquoted sometimes. (e.g. - statistical data use in politics) It's the price of "fame and fortune"

Loren, you obviously have more experience with chips than I do. I was given what I thought was a lot of helpful information from Steve Wong, and I certainly did not do him any justice in making the case for a chip because I'm still not 100% familiar with all the things he does. I just thought that, given the wide range of operating environments including fuel, temperature, and engine "condition" that one DME chip is supposed to handle ("plain" 964 USA), there would be room for at least "some" improvement to this seemingly one-size-fits-all-USA approach, and the quoting (or misquoting) of the little experiment in Adrian's book seemed to validate the idea, although perhaps incorrectly. Intuitively, it would seem that USA 93 octane users would have more to benefit from a "tweaking" than 91 users, so maybe there isn't a lot of room for improvement for CA drivers anyway. Many of the dyno data on Steve's site speak for themselves, but they don't mention the octane of fuel used, only the octane that either the chip or other components were "designed for". I have a very mathematical and scientific mind, and I must say, there is disappointingly little substantive and/or complete data on either side of the argument for this from what I've seen so far, though so far Steve's seems more complete than others.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Cars imported to South Africa are also M150, as shown by the bootlid sticker in my 90 C2. Leaded fuel is only planned to be phased out here in 2006.

So, should I bid on the RS DME?

L
Old 10-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The DME on the eBay offering is part number 964.618.124.04, the number for a normal C2

An RS DME is part number 964.618.124.01

So I wouldn't bid on it myself.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian, I don't think anyone here is calling you a liar or wilfully misrepresenting what you have said. Thats a bit strong.

I guess we are all guilty of quoting information out of context sometimes, and I guess thatswhy this is a discussion board - not a 'factboard'.

I am glad (and especially in light of Cupcar's observation re the part numbers) that no one wasted their money.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed Christer. Yikes.

Adrian, a bit of an overreaction, in my opinion. I suspect you have been "down this road before" and are, perhaps, tired of dealing with incompetent readers.

However, if this is a common problem you have seen again and again, I think there are 3 possible culprits:
A. The public tends to be, as a whole, dumb
B. You may want to reference another section in the book instead of assuming that the reader has memorized the material cover to cover
C. Both A and B

The above is intended to be lighthearted. I get the impression I need to say that... not sure why

Mark
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 92964cab
Agreed Christer. Yikes.

Adrian, a bit of an overreaction, in my opinion. I suspect you have been "down this road before" and are, perhaps, tired of dealing with incompetent readers.

However, if this is a common problem you have seen again and again, I think there are 3 possible culprits:
A. The public tends to be, as a whole, dumb
B. You may want to reference another section in the book instead of assuming that the reader has memorized the material cover to cover
C. Both A and B

The above is intended to be lighthearted. I get the impression I need to say that... not sure why

Mark
many thanks. any increase on dumb?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I are the public...

heck, I couldn't even do the math correctly earlier in this same thread.

G'day!

Mark
Old 10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Adrian please take comfort that at least those on Rennlist seem to read something about their cars, even if they don't remember every fact straight- they are generally eager to learn.

In the past the many Porsche owners worked on their cars and used to revel in comparing their technical knowledge of the cars. During my college days my roomate, with the Porsche Technical Manual by Henry Elfrink in hand, rebuilt the engine of his Speedster in his bedroom!!

The typical Porsche owner today probably doesn't even read the owners manual, let alone look at techical information in other sources. The cars are bought pretty much on sight and on the "street buzz" about the car.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The DME on the eBay offering is part number 964.618.124.04, the number for a normal C2" - Cupcar -

All the 964 DME ECMs are the same except for the EPROM chip. If the key chip is
NOT in the "box", then the "box" is generic. When buying such an item from eBay,
just "flip a coin"!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:29 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to reconfirm what Rob L. said ... I have ECU # 964 618124-01 on my usa cup. This is an RS ECU. The standard ECU # for standard usa c2 is 964-618124-04.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 AM
chayten
Advanced

not sure about the relay bit but is there anychance someone could tell me where to get adrians book from

thanks chayten
Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Loren,

I have found that not all 964 ECMs are the same. For instance the 1990 brain has the fuel quality switch where the later brains do not. I have also had instances where a chip would work in a 1992 brain but not work in the earlier 1990 brain. However, both brains would plug into either 1990 or 1992 cars and run fine.

I do agree that it is important to look at the chip moreso than the ECU number.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"For instance the 1990 brain has the fuel quality switch where the later brains do not."

Still the same electronically.

"I have also had instances where a chip would work in a 1992 brain but not work in the earlier 1990 brain"

Not true, must have been a bad chip or a different size. They all use a 256K.
Have tested/repaired many over the last 10 years & have not had a chip
compatibility problem.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

The RS ECU uses a slightly different hardware arangement so that an RS chip will not run a non RS ECU .Small beer stuff but ought to be borne in mind if you fancy chip swapping !
Geoff
Old 10-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"The RS ECU uses a slightly different hardware arangement so that an RS chip will not run a non RS ECU ."

different hardware - If true, then that ECM will NOT properly run a standard 964.

Bottom line: Discussion a waste of time!

Quick Reply: 964 RS DME on Ebay.??