Sponsored by:

Jammed power seat????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jammed power seat????

My 4 way power passenger seat is not working. The seat is currently all the way down (front and rear) or almost all the way down. If I push the front button down I hear a click and under the seat I can see the motors jiggle once (so it seems it is trying to turn but is jammed) but if I push the button up there is no click and no activity. The rear button does the opposite - down does nothing while up makes the clicking noise and the motors shake once.

Do I have a switch problem as well as a jammed gear or could this all be a bad relay? Any help would be great. I would like to pull the seat out and look underneath but with it in the down position it is not easy to get a wrench to the front allen bolts.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you tried manually operating the seats?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was jammed all the way rearward and manifested itself with the motor trying to move but nothing happening. I got everything unstuck by releasing the drive cable for the for/aft adjuster motor. It's easy. Look at the front edge of your seat, then take off the black plastic cover hiding the motor and cables. Grab the spring clip that goes over the drive cable and remove. Now you can slide out the drive cable (kind of like a speedo cable) and see if it's intact or something is messed up. You can also test the motor now unfettered... In my application the plastic bushings for the rear part of the screw that controls for/aft movement was gone resulting in the screw being all bound up until I made a bushing out of brass.

which has since fallen out... : )
Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

First check the switch, it's a common problem. Undo the screws an pull the switch out. Put on some CRS 5-56 and check the cables. I had the same problem. Now I "excersise" the buttons now and then to keep them going.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:17 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

The switch may need replacing - common problem. One way to check is to reach down under the seat and reverse the connections on the motor. This helped me move my seat until I replaced the switch.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
yugger
Track Day

Default I had two motors break within 2 months

In my '91 C4, I have the 4 direction power seats (up and down in the front and rear of seat). A day after I bought the car, the seat got stock in a twisted position. I could hear the motor clicking, but not turning. I took out the seat, pulled the cables from the rear motor and manually adjusted the rear lifters to a good position.

A couple weeks ago, after getting the car washed, I found the seat to be in a twisted position again, this time from the front. So, I had to pull the seat out again and manually adjust like I had done with the back. Now I have a seat that is manually adjustable front to rear, but will need to be taken out to be adjusted for height. Looked into new motors, but they're $$$$$. Next step when I have some time is to try to get the old motors working again somehow.

Quick Reply: Jammed power seat????