Sponsored by:

Clifford Alarm keeps locking me out and shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:34 PM
inkyboy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clifford Alarm keeps locking me out and shutting down

Guys any info on a Clifford Alarm that looks like it was installed in 93, it keeps shtting down all systems and locking me out of car, then 4 hours later resets itself by flashing the harzards a dozen times and then everything is fine. Is there reset modes? Do I just strip it out or what?

Not really sure which model it is but it has two arrows only on fobs.

I also seem to have a valet switch, but it neve bleeps when I flick it, any ideas why no chirps?

Paul
CUE99T
Old 10-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard telling. I have a new Clifford Matrix security system on my Evo, and I still really haven't figured out all of its modes, so it goes off a lot too. Damn security systems.

Does your Clifford have security key (a physical key) that you insert into a mounted keyhole in the engine bay (or trunk area in the 911 probably), then turn it to change modes? Or just a valet switch?

Try to look your type of system up on the internet, maybe? Google can probably help you find out in < 10mins.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
inkyboy911
Instructor

The problem is it's not got any markings so when i looked on clifford site all the key fobs don't seem to match even the old ones, this alarm is documented as 14years old, so god knows but reckon it must have been a concept 30 or 50 back then and wasn't put in by the dealer, but it has blue arrows pointing opposite ways on the fobb and it does seem to have a valet switch on the side of the gearbox tunnel below the dash but god knows what the sequence is, if I knew what model it was then reckon I'd be laughing. It seems to have an added GT 68 switching unit a year after it was put in but GT's are a different alarm, reckon this allowed a central locking alarm but don't know if this is also linked with the Clifford which I only have made the guess at as there are window stickers for it.

No extra key for the alarm, but I do know what your talking about as I seen it on my Piranha a few years back.

I have a Porsche Cat 2 immobiliser in it already so thought by removing it I would be better off but like the central locking fobb idea and extra alarm. It obviously works as I can't get into it or start it when I do get in but fudging the locks!!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents...Car alarms are too inexpensive to deal with BS like this. I'd hate to get locked out of my car or made inoperable by something that is <$300.

I had a Viper remote entry installed to coexist with the factory alarm/imobiser for $120.

Last edited by C4Russ; 10-17-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 2 Clifford alarms in 2 seperate cars and my experience with them has convinced me never to buy a Clifford again. They have many excellent features but I would settle for an alarm that was simple but was 100% reliable. How many extra features do you actually use anyway? If it was my car I would rip it out and start with a fresh system, especially as it is that old.

The 2 I had would go off without warning, would lock me out of the car, would simply stop working 1 day and work again the next. I had the control unit for one of them swapped twice and the problems still came and went.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had any problems with clifford alarms, but i agree they are too complicated. Does your key fob have 2 buttons or 4 Paul? If 4 its probably a concept something, but if two buttons and no central locking it could be the Clifford 'Arrow 2' a very basic model i had on car years ago. If you havent got the valet code to enter into the rocker switch, then you are going to have to take it to an alarm shop to get it reset. They can do that and provide a new code. You may just have a duff sensor somewhere thats working intermittently and setting the alarm off. Check the door & bonnet switches are making good contact with what pushes them shut. Sometimes the brain of a Clifford dies over the years and needs replacing and the thing setup up again by a shop.
If it was me, i'd have the local alarm shop have a look and see what they recommend.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:52 AM
inkyboy911
Instructor

Sorry boys, turns out the clifford stickers were a red herring. It appears to have a valet switch but it is using the factory alarm and they have added a Gemini GT 68 switching unit and hardwired it into it, my car is still going no where are my autoguy is still working on it!! This better be ready for my weekend drive out!!

So far the story is that he can lock and unlock the car from inside withoiut the alarm going off, but if he uses the key he can lock it and set the alrm but it won't unlock and turn off the alarm from outside using the key or the fobs. It ain't the fob batteries as they have all been replaced.

I looked for the clifford brain and couldn't find it....no wonder cos it's not there!!

Anyone any ideas?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like unless you get the guy who fitted the gemini you won't ever really know whats going on without a lot of time spent working it all out. It may well be cheaper to rip it all out and install something else.

Quick Reply: Clifford Alarm keeps locking me out and shutting down