Sponsored by:

Porsche CD 2 radio - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:23 AM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay,
Your suggestion is what I ended up doing and I believe this is the way to go. I am not finished yet, however, I see no reason that should not work just fine.
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speaker connection

crutchfield.com sells the speaker connctors that slide on the factory harness that goes to the speakes so you will not have to cut the harness. kind of hard to find on the website but they do have them. if you need i can dig up the part numbers.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rich: Good Luck with the stereo install!

Dutch: Great info on those Crutchfield connectors!

Jay
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CD just quit on my CD-2
Old 11-15-2005, 01:45 PM
jdodson
Advanced

I did the radio thing about a year ago. Wanted an AM/FM/CD unit whose looks were compatible with the rest of the dash. I searched everywhere and ended up buying a Becker 210 from SW Stereo. The unit comes with a Porsche face plate and all necesary wiring adapters. Looks and sounds great.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM
botoo
Instructor

dutchcrunch,
I would be very interested in what parts Crutchfield could supply. So, far on their website, they note that there is no other wiring needed or parts available.
The present (original CD-2) radio has an 8 pin din type cable for the speakers from the head unit to the preamp under the passenger seat. And then there are four small plugs into the preamp from the 4 speaker locations. Which ones do you mean are available?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:02 PM
botoo
Instructor

dutchcrunch
I think I have found what you used from Crutchfield:

Audi/BMW/Porsche Receiver Wire Harness
For select models, 1970-up
Item #120701693

I would need 4 of these little connectors and I decided to cut the wires and use crimp terminals instead. At $13 x 2 plus postage, I really can get by with the crimp solution.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:39 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wire connectors

Hi Botoo, ya they are a little pricey and you should get 4 for the price of two. bet if they were ford,chevy,ferrari they would be cheaper

you can always go to radioshack and get the med female spade connectors for 2 bucks or less and slide them on just as well. they have sheilded or should i say insulated ones that will slige on and not touch each other and then wrap with some electrical tape to prevent from coming apart. actually the hold very good. but i thought i want the expensive ones from crutchfield so they are on order.

i have noticed that if you get an older a/d/s amp it had the DIN connector inthe back that you could hook to the oringinal radio to get more and cleaner power. might have to have sw stereo make sure the pin to amp is correct as i do not know if the DIN pin was a world standard or not.

Quick Reply: Porsche CD 2 radio - opinions