Porsche CD 2 radio - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrylH
*Mild hijack alert* Hey Marc, do you have any pics yet of the Dension in situ?
There are pictures another member posted here (he admits they are poor quality). If you want, I can snap a few more and post them.

Marc
Old 10-13-2005, 03:22 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
There are pictures another member posted ...
Ah, sorry, that's quite fine, I read that thread when it came up originally but forgot...Thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Crutchfield does not sell an adapter for the factory unit.
Cobalt: Thanks for correcting my mis-information in my post on page 1 of this thread. It sounds like you found a good reversable solution to installing a new head unit without hacking up the wiring harness.

Jay
90 964
Old 10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect! I was hoping there would be a way to replace the radio without cutting the harness. The idea of a pigtail harness sounds great - but Anthony's solution sounds like it will meet my needs perfectly. Thank you Anthony, Marc, Jay, et al...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:56 PM
grankin
Instructor

I assume the CD-2 is the standard OEM CD device that communicates with the stock AM/FM/Cassette unit found in a '93 964? If so, and if it is as inferior it seems to be, is there an aftermarket device that can substitute for it without requiring an electronics engineers to install it? The stock radio seems to work well-enough as a radio and it has a cassette player in it. I have a ton of cassettes and would hate to not have 'em be useful - as theywould not be with the spiffy in-dash CD/radio units discussed thus far.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by grankin
I assume the CD-2 is the standard OEM CD device that communicates with the stock AM/FM/Cassette unit found in a '93 964? If so, and if it is as inferior it seems to be, is there an aftermarket device that can substitute for it without requiring an electronics engineers to install it? The stock radio seems to work well-enough as a radio and it has a cassette player in it. I have a ton of cassettes and would hate to not have 'em be useful - as theywould not be with the spiffy in-dash CD/radio units discussed thus far.
The CD-2 was an optional unit in place of the standard CR-1. It is a similar unit to the CD-2 but the CD-2 has an in dash CD unit and the CR-1 is an in dash cassette. The CR-1 will control the optional 6 disc CD changer.

Both units were not great even for the time. Factory car stereos have come a long way since then. If you like your head unit you can pick up used or even new factory CD changers for not much money and they are relatively easy to wire.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM
grankin
Instructor

Question

The CD-2 was an optional unit in place of the standard CR-1. It is a similar unit to the CD-2 but the CD-2 has an in dash CD unit and the CR-1 is an in dash cassette. The CR-1 will control the optional 6 disc CD changer.

Both units were not great even for the time. Factory car stereos have come a long way since then. If you like your head unit you can pick up used or even new factory CD changers for not much money and they are relatively easy to wire.
Hmmmm ... technology crawls onward, eh? What might people suggest for a modern radio/cassette unit that speaks to a CD changer, as does the CR-1 and that fits into a 964's dash?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by grankin
Hmmmm ... technology crawls onward, eh? What might people suggest for a modern radio/cassette unit that speaks to a CD changer, as does the CR-1 and that fits into a 964's dash?
There is a factory CD changer for sale on Ebay now. I think it is buy it now $350 which is not cheap but will allow you to hook it up to your existing head unit.

Most new units are relatively good. A big reason many of us like the Nak decks are because not only do they sound good have the most internal power of any head unit but they look somewhat like factory units. Nak makes a cassette unit which is supposed to be very good but you would need to buy a seperate CD changer. The newer equipment is pretty much universal and some units can be mixed with other brands. The older stuff is not compatable with anything but other older Porsche units and some older Blaupunkt units.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the CD-2 in my car - it skipped and generally sounded bad. I replaced it with a full Alpine system, including Boston Accoustics 5 inch speakers in the doors, a 5 channel amp in the trunk (to replace the factory mini-amp under the passenger seat) and Car Audio Innovations boxes with MTX drivers in the rear footwells (I have a C2 cab).

One point to keep in mind when installing a new head unit is the wiring for the security system - it appearently trips the car alarm system if the head unit is removed. The installers didn't do it right the first time around with my car and the alarm wouldn't function properly.

Regards,

John
Old 10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
dcahn
AutoX

I am very "original" with my cars and luckily my CD2 is still holding up fine. The sound could be better but it is "stock" soo....... That is my two cents.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
grankin
Instructor

There is a factory CD changer for sale on Ebay now. I think it is buy it now $350 which is not cheap but will allow you to hook it up to your existing head unit.

Most new units are relatively good. A big reason many of us like the Nak decks are because not only do they sound good have the most internal power of any head unit but they look somewhat like factory units. Nak makes a cassette unit which is supposed to be very good but you would need to buy a seperate CD changer. The newer equipment is pretty much universal and some units can be mixed with other brands. The older stuff is not compatable with anything but other older Porsche units and some older Blaupunkt units.
I had a look at the Nakamichi site, and you're right: they look 1,000% better than the stuff I see on the Crutchfield site (when specifying my car). Onliest problem being that they seem to have quit making cassette units. Might someone be able to offer up a model designation or two for Nak cassette units that might be found on e-bay, ones that'll talk to a CD changer?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:03 PM
botoo
Instructor

Hi,
I purchased an Alpine CD receiver,player to replace my CD-2 which does not work. I have a couple of questions and am in need of suggestions.
1. The old CD-2 unit has an amp. or preamp under the passenger seat. Would I just abandon this also and wire the Alpine right to the speakers? This would require extra wiring and probably removing the crossovers in the doors and doing something different there.

2. Can the underseat unit be used and wire the Preamp outputs of the new Alpine to this underseat unit? or won't this work or give a poor system?

Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rich
Old 11-15-2005, 05:10 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default nakamichi tape deck

Hello Grankin, i hope its not to late, on ebay there is a brand new 2005 model nakamichi tape deck with a buy it now for only 119.00 and it has its own power amp and can connect cd player to it. i do not know if your existing one will work but do your homework and it should look good in your car. i bought the cd500 model myself and what a nice looking unit they do make. oh ya ebay item 5828593569 they have good feedback too
Old 11-15-2005, 06:31 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Here's what I did! If you can find a, BLAUPUNKT SYMPHONY K7, the model that I show on page 1, of rennlist .com or, go to the link below you'll find the ,"one and only" hurry before it goes (New Member Pics, etc,.) there's a pic of it there. With the K7 cassette to mp3, made by sony, I listen to my ipod (NG) and my creative zen, (now thats a sound). I will be adding an ALPINE amp 2X50 instead of the 2X20, for a little bit more, "MOVE TO THE GROOVE",....Looks and is, original spec with the radio, (THE ONLY WAY) and of course, the mp3's are multi funtion,. BUT,... GIVE ME THE TOP DOWN LISTENING TO RADIO: 3.6 ltr. W/ 250 ROCK 'N ROLLERS!!!! Still the best!!!!
Marc A.

Link to my SITE:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2163748/3
Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by botoo
Hi,
I purchased an Alpine CD receiver,player to replace my CD-2 which does not work. I have a couple of questions and am in need of suggestions.
1. The old CD-2 unit has an amp. or preamp under the passenger seat. Would I just abandon this also and wire the Alpine right to the speakers? This would require extra wiring and probably removing the crossovers in the doors and doing something different there.

2. Can the underseat unit be used and wire the Preamp outputs of the new Alpine to this underseat unit? or won't this work or give a poor system?

Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rich
Rich:

Very, very late response, but maybe I can offer a suggestion for your questions.

1) The previous owner of my car added an aftermarket head unit, but kept the factory wiring intact. They ran new speaker wire to the amplifier location under the passenger seat. Then, they spliced into the factory wiring (factory amp output leads) under the seat to get the new head unit power to all four speakers from one location in the car. It was probably easier to do that verses running new wire into the doors and rear deck. When the system was removed, they just removed the new head unit and pulled the four speaker wire leads from the dash to the underside of the passenger seat and respliced the factory wires under the seat. The stock system still functions in my car with minimal modifications.

2) I'd just plain skip that factory amp under the seat. It's not much power (maybe 20 watts per channel at best?) and new modern head units probably have smaller internal amps that sound better.

Jay
90 964

Last edited by Jay H; 11-15-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche CD 2 radio - opinions