Sponsored by:

Lowering '91 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 11:13 PM
Steve Nugent
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Lowering '91 C2

Would like to lower my p-car for aesthetic purposes only, and planned to replace just the springs. Then I thought, well my shocks are getting old (even though they seem to work just fine), so I'll have some Bilstein sports put in at the same time. Today, however, I'm told that in order to do it "right", I need to install a whole bunch of stuff, ie. coil-over/shock/shock tower/adjustable camber plate, etc. - which is about three times the cost of just springs and shocks. I'm sure you need to do this if you're racing, but I think the car just looks better with a smaller fender gap - any opinions?
Old 08-13-2001, 11:28 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Steve,

You can lower your car using the Dopke lowering perches. These can be used with stock spring or with a set of M030 springs for a little more sporty feel.

You can get the perches from Clay Dopke for about $300.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Steve,
You have a number of choices. I did more than just replacing the coil overs but you can go the EIBACH/KONI route for a really stiff go-kart feel or you can go the H&R/Bilstein way for a softer (not too much softer) ride.
Obviously you can do similar to what Tom says but you say your shocks are shot anyway.
What is critical is the model year and date of manufacture of your 964, if you are going to change the springs struts and shocks.
If your 964 was built before Nov 1st 1990 then you have a different rear suspension to a Nov 1st 1990 built 964.
M030 spring son their own do not lower your 964 and if you install M030 springs on a pre Nov 1990 964 on their own it will actually raise the rear end. You need to do Toms method to use M030 or RSA springs (same thing). If you are going low I do recommend a strut brace, for that extra rigidity which is needed
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-15-2001, 08:38 PM
Michael W
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,
Just got my shocks and springs replaced with H&R and Bilsteins on all 4 corners.
It was a relatively straight forward process and my mechanic never mentioned anything other than to adjust the camber and 4 wheels alignment.
I found shox.com has the best prices on Bilstein shocks and struts. H&Rs should not be more than $350 per set. I think labor and all parts including the alignment was no more than $1600.00 I live in northern California, in Silicon Valley, just a point of reference. By the way, the car looks much more aggressive and handles like like it's on rails. Well worth the investment.
By the way, I got a '91 C4 (Nov '90).

Mike

Quick Reply: Lowering '91 C2