Power seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:58 PM
tom964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power seat problem

Hi,
My power seat went up in the back, and now it won't go back down. Now it is so high that even a relatively short guy like me hits my head. I don't think it is jammed at the top, because there is absolutely no response from the down switch, so I think it is electrical. I tried to remove the switch to check the wires and test it, but I couldn't pull it out of the seat far enough to get to the back of it. It seemed like there isn't enough give in the wires. Is this normal? Is there a trick to removing the switch? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Tom - I've had to replace 2 power seat switches. The first time, I paid a mechanie to do it. $125 for parts, $125 for labor. The second time, I did it myself with the help a friend. Parts $86, labor - 2 beers ;-)

Its not too hard to do and takes about an hour. I purchased my part from the local dealer but Performance Products has them too.

Rob
Old 02-04-2003, 07:05 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
It often seems to be the switch. But before you buy a new one. Take it out from the side of the seat, check the cables and spray on some CRS 5-56, WD40 or similar. Push the switch a few times, and then it often comes back to life. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:02 PM
tom964
Advanced

I would like to take the switch out before buying a new one or taking it to a mechanic. But I can't seem to pull it out from the side of the seat because there doesn't seem to be enough play in the wire. Did anyone else have this problem? Is there a trick to it? I can only pull the switch halfway out, so I can't even see the back. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:41 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

Often the wires are bound together with a plastic strap. If you look underneath the seat you might find the strap and be able to slide it back a little to loosen it up. Or you might have to carefully cut it. If this fails you might have to take the seat out to get to it.

Quick Reply: Power seat problem