Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had to replace their door straps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 09:31 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you don't have the same problem I had. My doors would just swing opened so I replaced the door arrester, everything was great. A few weeks later the door started to make a clicking sound. The new stiff door arrester caused the metal to bend and eventually break in the door jam. I had my mechanic weld the area. a few weeks later the metal started to get weak in a different spot.

In the end, I opened up the door arrester and shaved down the new rubber stoppers (they provide the resting positions when the door swings opened). Now everything is fine (no more metal weakening). The door wont stop firmly at each of the three resting positions if I open it normally, but it will stop at all positions if I open the door slowly.

Bottom line – It’s a great upgrade, easy to perform and cheap but consider shaving the rubber down a little so it won’t be so hard on the door jam. I had months of grief over this.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just done this on the drivers side door. not too difficult but I did have troublegetting the pin for the strap in and out.

Before the doors would just swing right open so I was woried in case the wind took it and broke something.

now its quite stiff with very distinct stopping points so now I'm worried there is too much stress on the strap

All I do is worry about this car. I wont have any hair left in a few years
Old 11-07-2005, 09:50 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case you missed it, Chris Walrod did a disassembly and "loosening up" of the detents, as detailed here: http://p-car.com/diy/doorcheck/ .
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

thanks. will do that on the other side before I fit it.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I thought mine was too stiff immediately after replacing it, but it has loosened after only a few weeks of use (and I haven't really driven it that much since replacing the strap).
Old 11-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine felt stiff at first too but have loosened nicely without any extra work.

Marc
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

ok cheers guys thanks for the feedback. I will leave the drivers door as is for now and see how it loosens up. if all is well as in your experiences I will do the passenger door in a few weeks.

On a plus note the quiet but still annoying little squeek that came from the drivers door has gone

ps.thanks Mark for the DIY instructions on taking off the door pannel and replacing the strap. without those I would not have attempted the job myslef.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had to replace their door straps?