Sponsored by:

muffler bypasses

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
I have the RUF primary bypass and I think it sounds awesome. It gives the car more of a raw gurgle at idle too. Sometimes a little too loud though if you give it more than 75% throttle--and it really screams (very loud) above 4500rpm with full-throttle. Went through a tunnel with full-throttle once and swore I was driving a race car. LOL.

Oh, and I have to add... On the highway in 5th gear @ 60mph, if you give it a good amount of throttle to make a pass... it sounds even better than stock... one of my favorite sounds of all time!

HP gain? I don't know numerically, but on the butt-dyno it seems to have slightly bigger lungs in the high RPMs than without the bypass.

Smile factor: High.
Is it narcissistic for me to quote myself? LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to add the part number for mine. Just so you have more options...

Ruf Primary Bypass:
R64 111 04400 (the actual part number)
R64 111 04600 (this variation of the number turns up more Ruf vendors on Google)
Old 09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Default I doubt anyone here would notice

Is it narcissistic for me to quote myself?

Not with this group.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:07 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Shubert bypass on my C2. I was told that Shubert makes exhausts for DP Motorsports. True or not, I don't know. This pipe has a Resonator (I think) in place of the primary muffler. It makes the car louder but not obnoxious. I paid $300 plus shipping.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

The car I bought came with the Fabspeed dual out muffler and a cat bypass. I absolutely love the sound, deep and sounds like a pack of Harleys. It also has the cat bypass. I put the cat back on for emmissions testing and the loss of power was very noticable so it went back on and passed inspection anyway.

Just my two cents
Old 09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anybody bought the Dansk G-pipe or anything from Mid America motorworks as shown in this thread? Seems to be awful cheap price from others I have seen. Any problems buying from them and what about quality?
thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
Has anybody bought the Dansk G-pipe or anything from Mid America motorworks as shown in this thread? Seems to be awful cheap price from others I have seen. Any problems buying from them and what about quality?
thanks
I have a Dansk G pipe on my '90 C2. Cost me $139 plus shipping, so the total was just about $150. The remainder of the exhaust system is stock.

Quality seems fine, but my car is basically a concours car and doesn't get subjected to the elements.

The sound at low rev's is a bit choppy like a old 2 cylinder John Deere and I'm not pleased with that. However, get on the throttle and it's just plain addicting. I had my brother drive my car past me on a back road several times at wide open and the 3.6 is truly glorious at full tilt.

I think it would be somewhat annoying on an open car (Targa or Cab) in daily driving duties. I've decided to put up with the low rev resonance since it's not that bad and the higher rev sounds are quite nice.

Jay
90 964
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

My MidAmerica Motorworks G pipe is on the way. $165 shipped. I'll report when it arrives.

c
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

If you can find one, there was a racing muffler made by Porsche to replace the primary. It is straight through construction and only weighs 14.75 pounds.

Used with the Cat (or a Cat resonator replacement) plus the secondary muffler bypass this muffler alone is not too loud, light and probably the least resistant to exhaust flow.

This is what I am using.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Ordered Wednesday, arrived Friday. It's a Dansk product from MidAmerica Motorworks.
Wow. What a sound. I took some video of the before and after sounds but I'm not sure how to post them.
Biggest difference is at idle and low rpms and especiallly with the windows down. At idle and as you accelerate it's just a louder, lower pitched, grumbling sound compared to stock. Windows up, sunroof closed, and cruising in 5th you almost can't tell a difference but once you get on it you can really hear it.

c
Old 10-05-2005, 10:07 PM
adwriter
Advanced

I'm looking at ordering the same G pipe for my 1990 C4, so wanted to ask:

- Did you notice any performance improvement or decrease from fitting the secondary bypass on its own?

- Did you get the pipe fitted by a regular muffler shop?

Cheers

Chris
Old 10-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adwriter

- Did you notice any performance improvement or decrease from fitting the secondary bypass on its own?

Cheers

Chris
I noticed no increase or decrease in power. If there is a change, it's not very noticeable (to me anyway). Several hp change on a 247 hp motor isn't that noticable to the seat of the pants.

This is a relatively simple mod. Undo both muffler clamps on the secondary (the inlet clamp and outlet clamp). Remove the short tip pipe. Remove a couple of mounting bolts, yank the secondary muffler (it's heavier than you think) and fit the new G Pipe. Add the tip and allow for clearance of the tip with the rear valance and you should be all set. If your car has some corrosion, getting the bolts and clamps loose might be the biggest challenge.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adwriter

Cheers

Chris
Chris - easy DIY. Took me about an hour.

There is a DIY thread here.

Marc
Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G-pipe is on my Xmas list, thanks for Jay H. His car sounds really nice with the g on it. then again, what doesn't trip it for my with a G on it?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:26 AM
braol
Advanced

Automotion has the G-pipe for about $160
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by braol
Automotion has the G-pipe for about $160
I ordered one from there more than a month ago: best price I could find. They had to get it in from Denmark, so there was a month's delay. In the meantime, I found someone selling a second hand unit, and bought that, cancelling the order with Automotion. So perhaps Automotion has at least one in stock right now

Quick Reply: muffler bypasses