Sponsored by:

Another starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts
Post Another starting problem

This morning, I attempted to start my '91 C2, after two weeks of the car sitting idle. When I turned the key, all I got was a loud ticking sound from the engine bay. The engine did not turn over at all. I've had recent starting problems, however, I'm certain that it is related to the ignition switch as the right wiggle of the key will engage the starter. This ticking noise, however, is new. I've done a search and have found previous mention of whining and growling sounds, but I only get that from my wife. Does anyone have an idea as to what I should be looking for here. My thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Pietro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have no voltage at the starter as the noise you quote could be the solenoid pushing in and out. The way it works is that the solenoid moves the gear in as well as connected the starter. that brings such a voltage drop that brings the solenoid back.
Battery empty? probably as the car was idle for 2 weeks.
Badly connected starter motor? also possible.
cheers
Pietro
Old 04-20-2003, 12:52 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts
Pietro, thanks for the great input. I checked the battery and found that the connector had come lose from the post. Quick fix and all is well.

Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Another starting problem