Loose teardrop mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 08:52 AM
l3sl13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Loose teardrop mirror

Chaps
I have noticed that the driver side teardrop mirror on my 89 C4 has worked itself loose at the door (not between mirror and support).
Nothing mentioned in manual about access.
To fix the problem is it a case of removing the inner door panel and if so any tips on the best way to do this would be appreciated.
Leslie
Old 05-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Leslie,
On the leading edge of the door is a plastic cap. Rectangular in shape. You might be able to get access through this. You can also take off the top little speaker. This might be better. If this fails then you have to take the inside door panel off. You will need a strong torch trying the smaller access areas. By the way if you mean by teardrop, the 1992 MY aerodynmaic mirrors, they are not original on your C4. This is often why they come loose,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 05-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Leslie;

You do not have to take the intereior door panel off. Or open the door to pry off any plastic cap. Please look at the base of your mirror (the portion that attaches to your door). On the top side of the base, you will fine a small round plastic cover, maybe 6mm in diameter. Pry it off and you will see a allen bolt, grab a 4mm allen wrench and tighten it.

Adrian, there is no way that by mounting aero mirrors to a early car is the fault of the mirrors by application. Structually everything is the same, except for the reinforcement backing plate that is supplied by Porsche with the kit, and the wiring.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:25 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Kevin,
You misunderstood what I said. The aero mirrors are not at fault the person who installed them normally is. I have seen some horrible jobs done by people replacing the mirrors. That is what I mean´t and often the actual mount is loosened or damaged and this was the impression given by the person making the post.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 05-28-2002, 07:31 PM
l3sl13
Instructor

Gentlemen
Many thanks for the advice. I know exactly the small rubber bush you are talking about so providing it doesn't rain this weekend (this is England after all!) I'll get the Alan keys out and sort the problem.
Adrian, you are right, I used the term 'teardrop' because that's what they look like to me.
The chap in Italy I bought the car from made a few cosmetic modifications to the car and fitting these was one of them.
Again many thanks
Ciao 4 now
Leslie
Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

I had the same problem with the "flag"-style passenger-side mirror on my '91 C2 cab. There isn't a lot of room around the bolt -- an allen wrench with a long "top of the L"-section really helps ($0.89 at my local hardware store). Good luck!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:34 PM
l3sl13
Instructor

Thanks J
Leslie

Quick Reply: Loose teardrop mirror