Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanging clutch pedal solved...............!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
HiWind: I used a Motiv power bleeder when I bled my clutch/slave and brakes. The slave was still pretty tricky since the fluid pick-up is high on the reservoir and it's easy to get air in system. It took me several attempts before I got a clutch pedal.

I have heard of the reverse method described in that video, and while i've never tried it myself (yet!), I do not see why it wouldn't work on our cars. Give it a shot and let us know.
Ok so some feedback:

1. did the reverse bleed per the video above:
A: IT DID NOT WORK despite a full hr of trying (if you've successfully bled your clutch back from flat on the floor soft
to full strength you'll know how laughable that is - I hadn't (yet) obviously)

B: It does work in one regard - all the gunk and stuff caught behind/on the backside of the seals
in the slave and Clutch Master Cylinder (CMC) will be washed back into your main reservoir in a black cloud of fluid
where you can remove it with a nice big syringe - so saves you having to remove and take apart these
.. if the small amount of gunge is a problem anyways. Or start out with a cheap wash fluid
and then forward bleed that all out with your new stuff
- I use Castrol SRF as it helps re brake cooling on the track.

C: I can see why some think it is a risk to do it this reverse way for the seal as they might get 'confused' or out of place ...
so ensure pressure is low i.e. 1 bar and go slow for smaller periods of time ... if needed in the first place. I'd now concur its not.

D: anyways my bleeder is an old Lancia windscreen washer tank with a switch on it and lead to plug onto my battery
- pics later - but worked like a charm and much as Babalouie said on his thread, I got
1 min of small and medium bubble, then 45 sec of nothing and then a big blurb of large and medium
bubbles and it was all done - back to normal! Took all of 20min inc some brake fluid spill when the slave nipple tube (runs to a catcher bottle) popped off

I have earned my 'clutch bleed from flat on the floor' badge - see below

Quick Reply: Hanging clutch pedal solved...............!