Stiff steering? have a read.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 06:34 AM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Stiff steering? have a read.

Hey folks,

Thought i'd share my mistake with you all so that if any of you change steering boots, you won't end with a C2 that goes in the direction you turn it, and will not return to central. I could turn the wheel for a roundabout, let go of the wheel, and it would go around and around all day if necessary. I still don't know if it was me, or the shop that did the wheel alignment. Anyway, the point is that the two ends of the steering rack ended up being tensioned against each other because i did not tighten the stop nuts on the steering arms, while having a spanner on the rack itself(not easy lying on the floor under the car). You MUST hold the bars that form part of the rack when tightening anything that's connected to the rack. OPC AFN in Reading ,uk, diagnosed what had gone wrong(for free), and why the steering was so stiff. Simple remedy, release steering stop nuts at each end of steering rack, turn wheel lock to lock, and then tighten nuts while holding rack in place. Having done this, i now have a C2 that normal sublime steering response and superb road feel again.
When I released the lock nuts to allow the rack to settle and untension, it must have rotated less than 1mm, what a difference!!!.

Hope its useful,

Taj.

91 C2 Metallic black

Quick Reply: Stiff steering? have a read.