Sponsored by:

Car Wax Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 11:22 PM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car Wax Question

I am about to wax my car for the first time (bought it in July) and I have read numerous posts concerning this topic but I still have a question. The paint on my car is beginning to oxidize and I have used a paint cleaner followed by 3M imperial glaze. I accidently bought a cleaner wax rather than just wax, if I use this product (Zymol cleaner wax) will it effect what I have already done or should I go out and buy some regular wax?
Old 08-10-2002, 03:24 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post
DarrylC,
Do not use the cleaner/wax at this point. The Imperial Glaze that you have used is a polish, that enhances the finish of your car after cleaning and before waxing. The problem with using a cleaner (including a cleaner/wax) after using the glaze, is that you will be negating all of the work that you have done when applying the glaze. The cleaner has mildly abrasive properties, which is how it so effectively removes the oxidation. However, it leaves the paint or clear coat slightly imperfect, with very fine scratches that do not reflect light perfectly. The Imperial Glaze that you used is a polish that "rounds" the edges of these fine scratches so that light is reflected more directly. This creates that dazzling "wet-look" shine. In addition, polishes often create oils which supposedly nourish the paint/clear coat. The cleaner/wax product that you mistakenly purchased is really intended for those who want to minimize the amount of effort it takes to both clean and protect their car's finish, and are as worried about the awesome shine that a polish provides. You have a car that is obviously worthy of polishing, and you have done that by applying the Imperial Glaze. Now protect the work that you have put into your detail by using a pure carnuba wax - with NO cleaner in it.

Congratulations on significantly enhancing the value of your investment. I'm sure that the looks you will be getting with your visually improved car will be well worth the effort.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Brian Leduc
Advanced

Check out the following site:

<a href="http://www.carcareonline.com" target="_blank">www.carcareonline.com</a>

Even if you don't buy anything, they have lots of great info decribing the differences between various products (cleaners, cleaner/wax, polish, glaze, etc.).

Lots of good tips, and a heavy dose of opinion from someone that appears to have waxed a car or two.

No affiliation, just saitisfied with the info and the service.

IMHO, I used 3M Glaze first, then Blitz Wax (a very good carnuba product). I have been pleased with the results, but my black car does have some swirl marks from a PO, and the 3M Glaze doesn't really get rid of them; it just makes them less noticeable.

Those will likely need to be addressed with a random/orbital and a proper polish, then a glaze, then a wax.

Griots Garage and Miguires have info on polishers that are said to be idiot proof......although with my black car, I am still leary.

Brian
Old 08-10-2002, 02:08 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

Daryl:

July and your just getting around to waxing your car...what are you waiting for!

If your paint is clean (smooth to the touch) you do not need a cleaner, but read on. Their are two types of cleaners; mechanical (has grit) and chemical.

Always wash your car before waxing. I use either P21 paint conditioning shampoo or Sonax Gloss shampoo. Use about half of what the manufactureer recommmends. If your car is clean you don't need all of that soap.

Keep car in a cool shaded location. Waxing paint that is hot to the touch is a realy bad idea.

If their are small fine scratches, I use 3M Imperial Handglaze. This is a mechanical process material. Then I follow with above. I use that hand glaze as necessary, however, I do use it on the entire car in the spring.

I always prep my car (each time I wax) with P21 Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. This is a chemical based cleaner that adds emollients into the paint. Quite simply it makes the paint look alive, much more shiny and slick. After you have cleaned and fed your paint wax immediately.

I wax with Bltz Wax. One day, I may try the Zymol Creme Carbon (great shine but not very long lasting.)

On last thing, you can now find Zymol at many auto parts and discount stores. BUYER BEWARE, this is not the Zymol of old. These product are produced under license by Turtle Wax. Read the label. If it says Turtle Wax, use it on you lesser car or toss it. Those in the know refer to is as Zurtle Wax.

I too use <a href="http://www.carecareonlne.com" target="_blank">www.carecareonlne.com</a> Larry is very knowledgable, he and his wife can point you in the right direction.

Have fun waxing (I just finished the wifes car!)

Quick Reply: Car Wax Question