Sponsored by:

LHD to RHD Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Andy P
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post LHD to RHD Headlights?

When converting a LHD 964 ('92) from continental use headlights (i.e. dipping to the right) to UK use (i.e. dipping to the left), is it possible to just changes the lenses, or is it really necessary to change the complete headlight units?

Thanks

Andy P.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi Andy

You have to change the whole unit, try <a href="http://www.eurocarparts.com" target="_blank">www.eurocarparts.com</a> or .co.uk. They are the most reasonable

Regards
Rob
91 964 cab
Old 08-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Andy P
Intermediate

Thanks Rob

Do you know (or anyone else) what the difference is between:-

HEAD LAMP BLACK RIM 911 83-94, (NOT SIDED)
H4 black rim (rhd)

and:-

H/LAMP + AIM CONTROL 911 87-94
H4 h/lamp with aim control

Both are listed for the '92 model year on the Eurocarparts website.

Thanks.

Andy P.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:04 AM
peter_964rs
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Rob McConnell:
<strong>Hi Andy

You have to change the whole unit, try <a href="http://www.eurocarparts.com" target="_blank">www.eurocarparts.com</a> or .co.uk. They are the most reasonable

Regards
Rob
91 964 cab</strong><hr></blockquote>
Really? Are you sure? I was told you just needed to change the lenses and have therefore been driving around with the wrong settings (and passed several MOTs) for four years.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

I have an LHD with the original lights, to pass the MOT I need to mask off one part of the light.

So far, everyone I've heard says you need to replace the whole headlamp unit. The lenses are supposed to be unilateral.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Talking

Hi Guys

Here in Jersey we have strict import rules, i have tried the old just change the lense routine.

The lights are not universal, you would have thought so, the lense does not throw out the coreect beam, only diverts it.

In the DVLA the have a box on wheels that they put up against your headlight, it has a template inside it for the correct beam pattern. The beam is more focused with the correct light. You would be better off keeping your LHD lights and masking them off, than just changing the lenses as this will give a week diluted beam. I wounder if this is why some users complain of poor lights.

Anyway the only difference between the pre-89 lights is they do not have the height adjustment on the side. I have the 84-89 headlights in my car as not once have i used the height adjustment.

Regards
Rob
91 964 cab
Old 08-08-2002, 06:40 AM
peter_964rs
Intermediate

Sorry to bang on about this but I asked the question of a knowledgable friend (different Adrian, in fact) and he said "no, rotating the internals achieves the same effect - exactly".
Old 08-08-2002, 09:19 AM
Millzeee
Advanced

i just changed the lenses, and have passed mot's with no trouble, surely it would fail if there was a problem, i have dismantled the lights and the look identical, it might just be a case of some finer adjustment needed
Old 08-08-2002, 09:45 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

They are different. The bulbs are held at a different angle. I initially changed just the lenses and the MOT tester pointed out the very strange beam although he passed the car. The light output was very poor.

I have now fitted new units and get a correct beam with much better light output.

Pete '93 964RS
Old 08-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Andy P
Intermediate

Many thanks for all the replies guys, most appreciated.

One other thing has just dawned on me, which I have never heard anyone discuss or mention before. That is, will I also have to change the rear lights (i.e. the reversing and fog lights side to side) when converting a LHD car for UK use?

Thanks.

Andy P.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:06 AM
Michael 93 C2
AutoX

Hi Andy,

No, you will not have to change the rear lights as
the 964 has twin rear fog lights, unless your car
came from outside the Euro zone.

Regards,

Mike.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Clay Wilson
Track Day

Andy,
Its a shame I didn't see this a day earlier. I have a LHD 964 that is being shipped back to the US fitted with H4 RHD headlights. It will get to the US in about 3 weeks and I'll trade lights trade if you are interested. E-mail me offline my address is crwilsn@yahoo.com
Old 08-09-2002, 08:29 PM
l3sl13
Instructor

...will I also have to change the rear lights (i.e. the reversing and fog lights side to side) when converting a LHD car for UK use?

Fog light most certainly. Don't worry though the whole operation is not that expensive (apart from the front headlights at approx. £120 each). However as it's a LHD (like mine) what about your speedo? Now that is expensive!
Ciao 4 now
Leslie
Old 08-12-2002, 06:15 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

My 964 has been in the UK since 1997, it still has the speedo in kms only (no miles markings) and the original German LHD headlights and tailights.

For the MOT I've only needed to apply some masking tape to the lights in order to pass it.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:32 AM
peter_964rs
Intermediate

As I understood the law, if your car is a personal import you just need a "means of measuring speed" and mph is not mandatory. If your car has been imported by a dealer, registered and sold here, then the dealer must by law sell the car with an mph speedo.

So, in my case I still have the original kph speedo and it's perfectly legal.

Still not clear about the headlamps, though. Some people claiming you must replace the whole unit and others just the lenses, provided the unit is rotated........

Again, my car has passed some prety strict MOTs for several years without any quibbles over the headlights, and I took the latter course.

Quick Reply: LHD to RHD Headlights?