Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do the original struts/springs wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do the original struts/springs wear out?

I know this may be a dumb question, but at 104K miles and a new owner, I'm wondering how shot my struts could potentially be. Not having ever driven a p-car before, I don't really know if mine are "squishy" - it honestly seems a little bit more squishy than I expected. So I'm wondering if going in with "fresh" stock parts I could expect a somewhat stiffer/more responsive ride. Normally I'd tell myself yes, but I don't know, are Porsche OEM struts "magic" and if I want something stiffer I'll need to get stiffer-rated stuff?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I replaced my original springs and shocks at 140K miles. The shocks were worn and causing uneven tire wear. I took the opportunity to install H&R lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. Afterwards, I was amazed at how much better the car felt at speed and felt that I should have replaced the shocks sooner.

My advice is to drive another 964 to compare and then decide if its time to replace or not.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the H&R lowering springs the best way to drop the ride height? How much lower is the car?
Old 09-03-2005, 12:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I replaced mine at 30k miles after 10 years and they were one step from shot. The Bilstein H&R combo was worth every penny although a bit weak for track use. They can be adjusted from stock height to lower than euro height. I am running at euro height and it makes for superior ride and handling. Probably the best improvement I could think of.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember to always replace your bump stops when changing your shocks or you will be sorry later!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I....The Bilstein H&R combo was worth every penny although a bit weak for track use.....
Why do you say that? What makes them weak - too soft?

I am thinking of suspension options as a winter project and I'm starting to research this now.

Thanks.......Marc
Old 09-03-2005, 02:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Why do you say that? What makes them weak - too soft?

I am thinking of suspension options as a winter project and I'm starting to research this now.

Thanks.......Marc
Weak was not a good choice of words, too soft is better. I went with the C2/C4 spring rates for a softer street ride. They are perfect for street use, OK for autocross but would be to soft for DE. I don't plan on tracking my car so I am happy. I think if you are looking for a setup that is good for both street and track you may want to think of the PSS9 or JIC type setup that you can adjust to your specific need..

Quick Reply: When do the original struts/springs wear out?