Help with clutch part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 06:45 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help with clutch part numbers

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone knows what the following parts/names mean. I think they refer to the DMF being changed, but would like to be sure about it.

964 116 027 90 - platte
964 114 012 01 - schwungrad
950 116 080 05 - lager
964 116 013 50 - scheibe

Any help is very much apreciated, as usual.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:53 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Riccardo,
964 116 027 90 - platte-Pressure Plate
964 114 012 01 - schwungrad-flywheel
950 116 080 05 - lager-pressure/thrust brg
964 116 013 50 - scheibe-clutch

Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Adrian,

Errmmmm... does this mean that the dmf has been replaced then? If so, can you say if it was with a LUK one?

The work was done with 40,137 kms.

Thanks again
Old 07-27-2001, 06:47 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm .... my receipt from 21FEB95 shows the following part# for the LUK DMF:

964-114-012-02

Doesn't look good--the 02 suffix does not match the 01 on your DMF part number.

Is the car you're looking at perhaps a C4? That may (hopefully) explain the difference. My Performance Products Catalog lists different (non-Porsche) part numbers for the C4 and C2 DMFs.

Do you have an installation date for the DMF?
Old 07-28-2001, 03:35 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a C4 owner who's been more than a little concerned about the DMF, I can safely tell you that the LUK is the replacement for both C2 and C4 cars. As Randall stated, the MINIMUM number for this should be the -02 suffix. I'm reasonably certain that the -01 suffix means Freudenberg.

For what it's worth, there appear to be a fair number of parts dealers out there that are still selling Freudenberg flywheels. I think that these have been unloaded onto these people at discount prices, presumably with them being unaware of the fact that the Freudenberg has some lemmon-like reliability features.

If you need a DMF, check the part numbers CAREFULLY....regardless of who you're getting it from!

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner
Old 07-30-2001, 03:37 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

This issue needs to be explained a little further.
The "LUK" Flywheel was only installed on the production line on the C2 range not the C4s. The parts catalogue does not identify the LUK for the C4. The flywheel for the C4 is a different part number. Now the LUK is approved for the C4 BUT!!!, if your supplier or whatever is using the parts catalogue for a replacement and not the Technical Service Bulletin then you are not going to get a LUK. For the C4 I really believe you have to ask for one.
Lack of the complete story and knowledge play a significant role here. This is why I constantly post the TSB data. Remember when you order spares you are normally dealing with a stores person who can only use the data in front of them. I believe Porsche made a failure here by not installing the LUK in the C4 flywheel part number section. If you need a new flywheel, REQUEST a LUK do not expect them to automatically give you one, especially if you own a C4,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-30-2001, 04:11 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adrian:

I think I might disagree with you a little on this issue.

The Freudenberg is not sold by Porsche dealerships here in the U.S. as a replacement flywheel any longer. If I call a Porsche authorized dealership here in the U.S. (at least in my area) and request the part number for the DMF for a C4, it will be a LUK.

I think the problems in the U.S. come from parts suppliers who don't sell parts as frequently as a dealership, and may have left over stock. I suppose a dealership that doesn't have a reasonably high volume could have some left over Freudenbergs as well, but I'd be surprised. The DMF appears to be something dealerships in the U.S. are well aware of.

Best Wishes,

Bill Wagner
Old 07-30-2001, 07:02 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Bill,
I actually came back to the board to make another point so I will cover yours as well. Most of the complainants on this very subject are out of the USA. I know of a wholesaler of Porsche parts in the USA who sells both types of flywheel depending on your budget. He has been trying to get me to get people to purchase from him. He offers cheaper prices. I am sure a lot of "Porsche" dealerships also purchase from this guy and other like him.
The point I will make is that often and in fact TOO often people blame the wrong person or persons. In reality, once outside the warranty period it is the owner at the time who chooses the cheaper option. Current 964 owners are part of this ecomonic issue.
It is too complex a subject and too many variables to make any pre determined statements.If I told half of what I really knew went on, I might end up in trouble.
This problem is however, worldwide and well entrenched. Plus everyone always tries to move old stock.
If you have a C4 it is quite legitimate to install the original replacement part number. The TSB does not actually say you must. Just that it is approved and available.
My point is this. You as the owner should make an effort to find out what you need and make sure you get what you need. Each 964 owner should at least have a list of TSBs applicable to his or her model in the glove compartment. Self protection is the only method that works. If you have purchased a C4 with a -01 flywheel then that is what you have. If you have a -02 then you are lucky. Just remember the next time it needs changing, get a LUK but these cost a few dollars more,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Help with clutch part numbers