Sponsored by:

Low power/High oil temp/acceleration noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 11:20 PM
Gary C2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Low power/High oil temp/acceleration noise

I have a 1990 C2, Manual Transmission. It suddenly seems to have low power...most noticable during acceleration. There also seems to be a little hesitation when the throttle is first push both no-load out of gear or in-gear. Also during acceleration in gear, I hear a engine/exhaust noise that I would describe as sounding like "radio static". It doesn't sound like a backfire or miss. When I rev the engine with no-load, it sounds fine.
Also, the oil temperature appears to be running one mark hotter that what I normally see.

Any ideas or suggestions of what the problem could be or things to check out?

Thanks.
Gary
Old 07-26-2001, 05:41 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Gary,
The first thing I would check is to see if the secondary distributor drive belt has broken. If you are only firing on 6 spark plugs instead of 12 then the symptoms you are showing can occur.
You always start with the obvious. Do a general visual inspection. I would check air filter, fuel filter, this type of thing. Maybe bad ignition leads.
You do not tell us the mod status of your C2. Is it standard, kat still installed (kat may have failed, become blocked) etc.
Do the obvious inspections first. Any number of things can cause this problem so start at the beginning and do not change any parts unless you can show they have failed. Before getting to stressed, if you cannot find anything obvious like lack of air, lack of fuel, igntion system problems, get a Bosch 9288 Hammer hooked up and get the fault codes read out.
You could also try resetting the DME. This sometimes helps.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-26-2001, 11:07 AM
John Miles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary,
You have the same symptons I had when my distributor belt went. Suggest you check here first.
John

Quick Reply: Low power/High oil temp/acceleration noise