Sponsored by:

Clutch Engagement question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Thomas Owen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Engagement question

I need someone you check their clutch pedal travel for me. What i need to know is how far off the board is the pedal when the clutch begins to engage. On my car, as I release the pedal I immediately feel the clutch pull and this seems too close to the floor. I have just rebuilt the pedal cluster so there is no freeplay in the pedal or shaft and everything feels ok, I just think the clutch should engage a little higher.
Thanks in advance -
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine starts to transmit power at 1/3 of the total travel, and is pretty much fully engaged at 1/2 way. I do have to make sure the pedal is hard on the floor before shifting, or I will get a grunchy shift (and damage the transmission).

My clutch action improved dramatically after I flushed the black goo out of the slave cylinder. If your's has not been flushed within the last 2 years, I recommend doing that before any other change.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With new master and slave cylinders and several thorough bleedings, my clutch response is similar to Springer3's. Gear changes are crisp and smooth, but it has taken me some practice; the 911 clutch is not as forgiving as the 944's. If I don't hit the floorboard with the pedal as I change, I also get a lot of "grunching," flub the shift and have to quickly find another gear to keep rolling. Very embarassing, especially when wife is in the car!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Thomas Owen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I ask is because mine seems to begin to engage the moment I come off the floor. Even if I hit the floor during every shift that does not seem too good for the transmission. Would prefer the engagement a little higher up.
Thanks for your replies -
Old 08-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine engages at between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way out. It's got 50K on it and I'd have to check the records for when the last bleed was. The hydraulics automatically adjust for wear on the clutch disc so you can't adjust it like the older 911s.

c

Quick Reply: Clutch Engagement question