Sponsored by:

Split Rear Wall on C2 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 05:13 PM
anewbill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Split Rear Wall on C2 Spoiler

The black rubber matting with plastic ribs that makes up the "rear wall" of my automatic rear spoiler has split along 2 of the ribs. This is the piece that cups and directs the air flow into the engine. Is this a common problem? Has anyone had success patching the rip with glue or tape? Does $85 sound like a good price for a new one?

Thanks very much for any advice.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:20 PM
tom964
Advanced

I had the same problem. I didn't try gluing it, that would seem very difficult. I don't know if its a good price, but I can tell you that I paid more.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:28 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

Yes, it's fairly common. Happened on my car twice. The first time I had it replaced. The second time I used black duct tape. I applied it from the inside, where it was not too visible. Blended right in, and worked great!!

If you still want to replace your spoiler wall, check here for DIY info.
http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerwall/

I can't say $85 is reasonable for a piece of folded plastic , but I do think that price sounds about right.
Old 07-09-2001, 07:21 PM
Mark C-2 Targa
Track Day

The price is fair. Brumos of Jacksonville has it for $77. Mine split too. Mark
Old 07-10-2001, 02:01 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just remembered I have a perfectly good spoiler wall in my garage. It had to come out when the (very tall) varioram engine went in (post-spun rod bearing). It was installed on 6/17/99, the rod bearing spun 8/3/99, so it has all of 47 days on it.

Yes, I did tape my spoiler wall the second time it cracked, the tape worked great, and I drove the car like that for a few years. But, had the car in the dealer for some warranty work, and told them to go ahead and replace the spoiler wall. Big waste of money in retrospect, considering I only got 47 days of "enjoyment" out of it.

Anyway, I'm never going to reinstall the spoiler wall in my car. So, if anyone cares to have it, I'll sell it cheap
Old 07-10-2001, 10:21 AM
anewbill
Instructor

Talking

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 07-10-2001, 02:14 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

As you've seen, the spoiler "rear wall" splitting is is a common problem. Here's a bit of preventative maintenance that might help. It was recommended to me by my mechanic, but I've only had the replacement on for three years, so I'm not sure how much it's helping the longevity.

Anyway, when you're drying your car, raise the rear spoiler and dry the plastic piece. That should help the piece to last longer.

-- Melissa

Quick Reply: Split Rear Wall on C2 Spoiler