Sponsored by:

brake pads

Old 07-06-2001, 02:09 PM
Planter91C2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post brake pads

hi,

i need to replace all my brake pads. does anyone know a cheap supplier. i don't need race pads. also, do i need to replace the sensor?

any help greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:41 AM
carnut169
Advanced

I would do a search under "Porsche Parts" on any of the search engines. You will find companies like Pelican, Vertex, and Automotion. Some of those sites will have online catalogs and monthly specials. Just call around until you find the best price/ quality you are looking for and buy! Just read your post on the 911 board and felt bad that your 964 buddies have left you out to dry. Good luck, Sean.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Daryl:

I recently had all the pads replaced on my street driven only '90 964. I went with OEM pads. Vertex seemed to have the best price (~$50), but the stock pads came in second ($62 front - $67 rear). The stock pads are just fine for street driving. No squeal, but lots of brake dust.

My sensors were not changed out on this brake service.

Jay

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Jay H ]
Old 07-09-2001, 01:55 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I used the stock pads all around. (bought from Vertex.) Dust was prettty bad and unlike Jay's experience - I had the most hideous, screeching squeal you could imagine. It was the most embarassing thing in the world, pull up into a parking lot sounding like an old dumptruck trying to stop. After a week of that, I tried the anti-squeal backing pads, put new rotors on (needed anyway), and every other trick I could get my hands on to no avail. Switched out to the high perf. pads on the front and its been silent ever since.

On another note: anyone find non-oem pads for the rears of the 90-92(?) C2s. Apparently, aftermarket suppliers stopped making those smaller rear pads for some reason.
Old 07-09-2001, 03:48 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

I have the part number to order Axxis pads from Tweeks at home. I will post it later.

The only thing is with them is that you have to wire tie the sensor to something on the axle because the pads do not have the cut outs for the sensors.

I have had them on for 6 months now street driving and AX's without any problems. If you bevel the edges 45 degrees before you install them they will not squeal.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

OK, I found the paperwork on the pads from Tweeks.

They are listed as pads, brake, premium semi-metallic item # 400734 (alt#tmm1002) $29.00 pr.

If you hae any questions email me.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:40 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I usually try not to bad mouth people, but Vertex really pissed me off about pads. When I was a Porche newbie, they sold me pads they swore were stock for significantly less money that Porsche pads. (I think $65 for the front) Even after using all the anti squeal stuff invented, they sounded 100 times worse than my race pads. I kept them on for the next event to see what would happen and they were gone in 1/2 day, significantly shorter life than even Porsche stock pads. I think they were Jurids.

Just thought i'd share. There is no free lunch as Steve Weiner says. If you are not going to the track then I suggest you buy stock pads from the dealer. Try Suncoast in Florida and get the PCA and Rennlist discount. They are a Rennlist sponsor. as for the sensors, since I change my pads and wheels at the track I have no use for them and leave them attached and zip tie them to the strut. No warning light.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:23 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have squealing brakes, Adrian Streather pointed out that there's a TSB on replacing the anti-squeal parts on the brakes. Sounds like a cheap fix (at least I hope so!) for those with squeaking brakes. I haven't done this yet but plan to do so within the next few weeks.

Bill Wagner
'91 C4
Old 07-10-2001, 01:13 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As a follow up to my post above, my brakes did squeal like a stuck pig right after I picked up my car. The squealing went away after about 100 miles. Not sure why, but they are silent now with the stock pads.

When I had my brakes done this winter, I remembered reading posts similar to EJ's above regarding the questionable quality of some Vertex parts. That's why I paid the extra cash for the Porsche brake parts. I have gotten good parts from Vertex, but the important stuff (like brake equipment) gets purchased at the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake pads