Sponsored by:

Strange ABS issue on 964 RSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:04 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strange ABS issue on 964 RSR

Hi to all, I am the lucky owner of a 964 RSR and had something strange happen to me at Spa-Francorchamps last week.
As I was heading to eau rouge, starting to brake, the car's ABS chime would go on and the big exclamation mark would come on.
After reset, this would go away, with one exception, I drove it in the paddock and hit a big bump and again it came on.
Any ideas? It puzzles my mechanic's hammer and it doesn't seem to be covered in Adrian's book...
TIA
JM
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea, but I just wanted to say you are one lucky bast**d for owning a car like that...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That car is too cool! and so rare! good luck with the glitch.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Some info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/217574-abs-indicator-light-on.html but to quote our friend Garrett from that thread.....

Originally Posted by garrett376
It is common for the ground connection near the ABS valve block to be corroded - several times people have posted this intermittent problem, and solved it by unscrewing, cleaning, and reinstalling the various ground points in the front hood (there are three, I think). From memory reading those posts, it seems the ground closest to the ABS valve block (behind the battery) is the culprit.

C4 guys - if you want to see your PDAS functioning more easily, install the green PDAS bulb in your combination instrument...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/106325-green-pdas-activation-light-in-dash-gauge-how-activate.html
Marc
p.s. And if it fixes your problem, we'd all love to see more pictures of your car, please!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

p.s. And if it fixes your problem, we'd all love to see more pictures of your car, please!
even if it dosn't picture please
Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
puma1824
Pro

Yes pics!!! You are sooooo lucky!

P.S. Hope you find the problem with the car...at least this post should bump your post to the top again
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Is this a new problem? Doesnt usually happen on the track? Or have you just started tracking the car? Have you changed your tires to a different brand/stiffer sidewall? Changed spring rates?

When you hit a bump hard, at high speed, with stiff/track tires, sometimes the ABS brain thinks that there is a fault with one of the sensors (due to vibration/noise picked up by the wheel sensor). Its not that uncommon, and is one of the reasons the factory installed an ABS cutoff/reset switch.

I have the problem all the time with the ABS on my 944T track car. But this is a street/stock ABS system and I am running springs that are 5 times stiffer than stock and running stiff sidewall track tires. So Im surprised that your RSR (with I assume is a race tuned ABS) would be having that problem. If you tracked your car before and not had the problem, look for something wrong - loose sensor at the hubs, or loose connector, or as mentioned before: a loose ground wire.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome car !! eau rouge has to be one of the coolest climbing S turns in the world. Good luck with the anomoly.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Euro Cup does the same thing from time to time. It's on my 'things to do' list to check all the grounds near the ABS block as described in this thread.

Damn, I don't know what to be more envious of: the RSR or being able to drive Spa.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No you are correct, the 964 RSR ABS is not covered in my book. Nor is the RSR 993 system in my 993 book either. The racing ABS systems are NOT the same as fitted to the standard 964. There is no available information on these "Racing" systems. Efforts to crack this nut failed with both Porsche AG and RSR owners not providing anything.
If you have the cut off switch installed I recommend you check the wiring around this area.
The fault indicates a control unit failure or is directly related to power or ground inputs to the control unit.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:11 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
No you are correct, the 964 RSR ABS is not covered in my book. Nor is the RSR 993 system in my 993 book either. The racing ABS systems are NOT the same as fitted to the standard 964. There is no available information on these "Racing" systems. Efforts to crack this nut failed with both Porsche AG and RSR owners not providing anything.
If you have the cut off switch installed I recommend you check the wiring around this area.
The fault indicates a control unit failure or is directly related to power or ground inputs to the control unit.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Thanks Adrian. WIll try that- I do have the cut-off switch installed (big ugly red thing on the right of the dashboard).
Those who want pics, e-mail me, I have a few nice ones static and dynamic at various tracks- Brands Hatch, SPa, Castle Combe and Silverstone
JM
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Those who want pics, e-mail me, I have a few nice ones static and dynamic at various tracks- Brands Hatch, SPa, Castle Combe and Silverstone
JM

Big mistake!!! Your email box will be flooded.

Post your pics HERE!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

JM please post pictures
Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Still having this problem, eh?

I just went through this also, check out my last post on your June thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=abs+speedo
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Man, JM, that sounds like a real bugger of a problem. I tell you what, my 89 C4 ABS works just fine, so I'll be a pal and trade you cars. I know, I know, I'm a saint, but that's what friends are for... Just PM me and I'll send you the address to ship the car to...
Brian

Quick Reply: Strange ABS issue on 964 RSR