Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:"Top Gear" TV Show - Best Car Show Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of interest - the Stig (well the first one anyway) was a GT racer called Perry McCarthy, who i think co-drove the Audi R8 at Le Mans a couple of years ago.
Not sure who the current one is. . .
Old 08-15-2005, 06:26 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

From some net reading, the US version of the show seems to be a season behind than the UK original. The US version is sort of a repacked UK version, where they record new bits in front of the live audience that introduces the taped UK segments. They "translate" to US dollars and say things like "highway" instead of "motorway" etc...

Loved the segment on the Mercedes McLaren and was shocked and how its lap time measured up.

When you've watched the superbland Motorweek for years, this show is breath of fresh air. Although it really is sort of supercar show, I haven't run into a Camry vs. Accord segment yet, but who cares, its great "auto entertainment"

All the best,
Ricardo
964 dreamer
'97 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro
'99 Audi A6 Avant Quattro
Old 08-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show has been around longer than I have. I watched it as a lad.

I recall one episode where they try to destroy a 911 (I may have a digital copy of the segment somewhere) and find it almost indestructible! They crash it into a wall, take a bat to it. shoot it, drop it from a crane, etc, etc.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:01 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching Top Gear on and off for more than 13 years now (I used to live in Turkey back then). Some of the presenters like Tiff Needel went to Fifth Gear (which is also a good show, was on BBC world). For a few years I couldn't get any of the shows in the US, but I still have some shows I taped via the BBC's live TV feed via the internet in the late 90s... One can buy the "best of Top Gear" type DVD's from Amazon's UK's website. Only works on region-free DVD players, of course, but those can be bought for less than $50 these days...
Old 08-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart1997
Heres a link to the top gear website-and a video of a Gt3RS vs the ferrari 360cs.

http://www.topgear.com/content/timet...ctions/videos/
Thanks for that stuart thats a great clip. As has been said above Jeremy Clarkson has been harping on about how he hates Porsche for years and he is a self confessed Ferrari fan. He has owned several ferrari's

Recently though he has changed his tone quite a bit but even when he loves the car GT3/ Carrera GT etc he still chooses something else as a winner in head to heads.

For all Americans out there who come to this program fresh you should bear in mind that its more an entertainment show than a motoring show so to speak.
I sometime feel that Jeremy makes up a joke or routine about a car slating it and then will use it even if he likes the car just to try and be funny.

I think clarson is great but James May cracks me up hes a top bloke
Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesty
For all Americans out there who come to this program fresh you should bear in mind that its more an entertainment show than a motoring show so to speak. I sometime feel that Jeremy makes up a joke or routine about a car slating it and then will use it even if he likes the car just to try and be funny.
I think the entertainment aspect of the show is what I find most enjoyable. While instrumented tests (well, the results of instrumented tests) are of interest, I think its a hoot to watch these guys hammer the cars around their circuit, and I am kind of surprised that the manufacturers will give them the cars to do it.

And some of the odd ball stuff has been pretty funny as well. The Mitsubishi EVO episode, where Clarkson (do I have the right guy???) chases the Lambo around the circuit was hilarious (what was his quote, that "the mega buck Lambo, driven by a pro, could not get away from a Japanese Sedan being driven by.......a Fat Man!"....or words to that effect?), although I do not believe for 1 minute that the Lambo pilot did not spin on purpose.

And taking the hire car to Germany to be struck by man made lightning? Parking the Toyota truck at the end of the seawall, and letting the tide carry it away?

Thus far this has all been very entertaining. I have been laughing my **** off, and a few of my petrol head buds have taken notice as well.

Brian
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

2 words "Caravan Concours"

ahaha.. i watched the entire 2004 season in the past few days. I love the show.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 AM
robbed666
Racer

There is one very good show. Where the question is "answered" :- "Are Motorcycles faster than cars?" They use a racing circuit, and I think Yamaha R1 with a top M/C racing rider. Against a Porsche, driven by a pretty average driver.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 AM
robbed666
Racer

Originally Posted by robbed666
There is one very good show. Where the question is "answered" :- "Are Motorcycles faster than cars?" They use a racing circuit, and I think Yamaha R1 with a top M/C racing rider. Against a Porsche, driven by a pretty average driver.
P.s Clarkson also races a Ford Probe against a WRC Evo, and an F1 car, in a handicap race. The final "across the line" shot is outstanding.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:12 AM
willie964
Advanced

Never miss an episode if I can help it, yes Clarkston is a bit of a pillock but in a funny sort of a way that is his charm, he know's it and exploits it. I think he has alot more respect for the Porsche marque now as well.

As for the 'Stig', well a cooler driver I think I have yet to see. The day that he is unmasked will be a sad one. I think the enthusiasm of the hosts shines' through - they are like Kids in a sweet shop ............................
Old 08-16-2005, 04:15 AM
ClubsportSP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_L
Bruntingthorpe ?

When it comes to driving sideways on tv - Tiff is the best i remember him drifting round the old turbo's in the new 996. Amazing stuff.
Actually I think its Anglesey - I remember there being a lot of water enveloping the circuit. He nearly lost the Boxster there a couple of times!

Agree with your comments on JC - he doesnt realise that petrol heads (who know their onions) can and will nitpick his opinions

SP
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

OK, I must be getting 5th gear and top gear mixed up (how confusing!) I remember seeing a clip of the "indestructable" 911 on the net somewhere. They drove it into a shed, dropped it, etc. etc... and it kept running. Definitely a sarcastic segment- I don't think Tiff or whomever the driver was actually hated 911s I think it was an old 911 sc, or perhaps even a '77 or before 2.7 liter. The car was probably not worth much so trashing it was written off as a "production expense" of the show
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 AM
ClubsportSP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a TV version of one of Jeremy Clarkson's video/DVDs - think there is 3 or 4 that he has done

and that was Jeremy Clarkson. As he said himself "Six foot four with a hairstyle to match"
Old 08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stig's overalls have, by all accounts, been filled by Perry McCarthy (black stig); Ben Collins (white stig) with others e.g. Heikko Kovalainen; Nicolas Minassian stepping in when either the car (Renault F1) or other commitments required.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 AM
fore!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the thrashing of a gt3 RS and a Ferrari CS (aka Stradale?). Clarkson and a known "stick" - a guest pro driver (i think the guy in the Lambo was Luca Badoa of F1 - don't think he put it around on purpose and the evo had 400 horses, but i ws fun...).

Sure clarkson preffered the Fcar even with the "flappy bits" aka paddle shift, but at the end of the day the porsche was the pure driving experience, cost a lot less and posted exactly the same time as the Ferrari - 1 min 22.3 sec. Great fun.

Wonder what the guys at Motorweek on PBS think?....

Quick Reply: OT:"Top Gear" TV Show - Best Car Show Ever!